Old 05-31-2011, 01:01 PM
bill bixby

Default upgrade to natty problems - network down

OK - first of all I don't think I should be on this list because you guys are way over my head - but this was something that looked like it could help me so I signed up.* I will tell you my problem and if no one has advice to offer if you could at least point me in the direction I need to go for help that would be great - but I have already spent weeks going over man pages, on-line help, linux forums, etc.* And nothing is very helpful so far.

I am relatively new to linux (a couple months) but I have worked on networks (MS) before - not a lot but some.* It took forever to get the network up (for the linux machines to "see" each other). Shortly after I upgraded (automatically) to Natty one by one the machines started giving errors when I would try to open the network (using
Samba).* I have 4 linux boxes and 1 windows xp box (full of viruses) and 1 linux "server/domain controller" (that's what I want it to be but it insists on being a domain client for some reason).* The router and the MS machines can see and access linux boxes with no trouble.* Also, using putty/plink I can get into one linux box from another.

I get different errors at times but mostly when I click on the workgroup/domain icon after a longish wait I get a:* Unable to mount location**** Failed to retrieve share list from server*** error message.* I feel like I've tried everything.

The talk on this list about bugs with upgrading pam makes me wonder if that is the problem I'm having, but honestly I can't understand most of what you guys are saying.* I really love ubuntu - both the concept and the reality but my boss has said if I can't get the network running ASAP they are
switching back to MS Windows (seriously!) - it was a struggle to convince him to make the move to Ubuntu in the first place.

Please help!

Meerkats are my favorite animal at the zoo so maybe that is the problem.

Thanks

Jack (not the hulk)

PS Should I install Samba on my Windows box?* Would that help anything?

*

Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Callan Jefferson Davies

I get different errors at times but mostly when I click on
the workgroup/domain icon after a longish wait I get a:*
Unable to mount location**** Failed to retrieve share list
from server*** error message.* I feel like I've tried
everything.

Hi Jack,

Firstly, what is it that you're trying to achieve? Can you describe
your setup?

I'm getting the idea so far that you're trying to get every machine
to see every other machine, i.e. each machine has files to share.

Can you tell me more?

I'm not sure if I can help with your mount error, but I can tell you
I've done a few networks with shared files and so forth and it seems
to work well.

Look fwd to your reply.

Cheers

CD

Old 05-31-2011, 02:33 PM
bill bixby

1. Trying to have a network with a server acting as Primary Domain Controller (using Linux) that every other computer can save/retrieve/edit Libre Office docs and pictures to.* File sharing.* Not peer to peer

2. Also need to be able to access printers/scanners/etc. on any computer from any other computer on network.

I am trying to use SWAT but not very successfully.* This is a very small network and a lot of advice on the net is for much larger networks.* Also, I am leaving the one Windows machine on the network because it is the only one that can "see"/access the others.

Don't know if this helps but the host I'm on right now has this /etc/samba/smb.conf file:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2011/05/30
16:25:41

[global]
******* workgroup = DOMAIN
******* realm = JOE.OFFICE.COM
******* server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
******* security = DOMAIN
******* map to guest = Bad User
******* obey pam restrictions = Yes
******* pam password change = Yes
******* passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
******* passwd chat = *Entersnews*spassword:* %n
*Retypesnews*spassword:* %n
*passwordsupdatedssuccessfully* .
******* unix password sync = Yes
******* syslog = 0
******* log file =
/var/log/samba/log.%m
******* max log size = 1000
******* dns proxy = No
******* usershare allow guests = Yes
******* panic action = "" %d

[printers]
******* comment = All Printers
******* path = /var/spool/samba
******* create mask = 0700
******* printable = Yes
******* browseable = No

[print$]
******* comment = Printer Drivers
******* path = /var/lib/samba/printers

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

Old 05-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Diego Xirinachs

First thing to do would be to ping the samba server ip address from your client.

Make sure you have the same workgroup specified on all your ubuntu boxes (on smb.conf)

Based on that smb.conf you provided there are no shares specified.* Try to make a test share that everyone has all permissions on it. Make sure you have some users setup on the samba server.

Hope it helped.* Come back with your results to check your progress.

Cheers