Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Serge Hallyn

Default server team interest

Quoting matthew byers (stlsaint@ubuntu.com):
> Hello,
> My name is Matthew Byers (stlsaint everywhere else). I am interested in
> joining the server team. I have done minor amount of work with bug triaging
> some time back and recently have picked up working on packaging. Looking to
> help contribute more with ubuntu server. Just to let everyone know i am
> currently deployed to the country of kuwait, (for timezone notice).
> Hopefully i can receive a mentor to help with integration into server
> community. Thanks

Hi,

welcome! Are there any particular package sets which interest you? I
myself still have very limited upload rights, but if you'd like any review
of a package before you find someone to sponsor please feel free to ping
on #ubuntu-server

-serge

Old 05-27-2011, 07:51 PM
matthew byers

Hello, thanks for reply,
I do not have any particular package set that i have started working on within server release. Is that where i should be starting? Should i continue inquiring about a mentor per the wiki page?

--
God Bless

Old 05-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Friday, May 27, 2011 03:51:34 PM matthew byers wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM, Serge Hallyn
>
> <serge.hallyn@canonical.com>wrote:
> > Quoting matthew byers (stlsaint@ubuntu.com):
> > > Hello,
> > > My name is Matthew Byers (stlsaint everywhere else). I am interested in
> > > joining the server team. I have done minor amount of work with bug
> > > triaging
> > > some time back and recently have picked up working on packaging.
> > > Looking to
> > > help contribute more with ubuntu server. Just to let everyone know i am
> > > currently deployed to the country of kuwait, (for timezone notice).
> > > Hopefully i can receive a mentor to help with integration into server
> > > community. Thanks
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > welcome! Are there any particular package sets which interest you? I
> > myself still have very limited upload rights, but if you'd like any
> > review of a package before you find someone to sponsor please feel free
> > to ping on #ubuntu-server

> Hello, thanks for reply,
> I do not have any particular package set that i have started working on
> within server release. Is that where i should be starting? Should i
> continue inquiring about a mentor per the wiki page?

It's best to just dive in and try to do stuff. There's usually people around
on #ubuntu-server or via this list that can help out if you have questions. I
don't think the formal mentoring program is particularly active at the moment,
but there's no need to wait for anything official.

Back when I started on server stuff there were problems that bothered me with
packages I was using/interested in and I wanted to get them working better.
If you've got such an itch to scratch, that's the best place to start.

Scott K

Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 PM
matthew byers

Thanks for reply scott,
Sounds good. Last question, since there is no mentoring program than i can only assume that no new avenues have been established to acquire team membership. Either way as long as support is available than i am all for starting work on packages/bugs etc.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Scott Kitterman

<ubuntu@kitterman.com>wrote:
> > On Friday, May 27, 2011 03:51:34 PM matthew byers wrote:

> > > Hello, thanks for reply,
> > > I do not have any particular package set that i have started working on
> > > within server release. Is that where i should be starting? Should i
> > > continue inquiring about a mentor per the wiki page?
> >
> > It's best to just dive in and try to do stuff. There's usually people
> > around
> > on #ubuntu-server or via this list that can help out if you have
> > questions.
> >
> > I don't think the formal mentoring program is particularly active at the
> > moment,
> > but there's no need to wait for anything official.
> >
> > Back when I started on server stuff there were problems that bothered me
> > with
> > packages I was using/interested in and I wanted to get them working
> > better. If you've got such an itch to scratch, that's the best place to
> > start.

> Thanks for reply scott,
> Sounds good. Last question, since there is no mentoring program than i can
> only assume that no new avenues have been established to acquire team
> membership. Either way as long as support is available than i am all for
> starting work on packages/bugs etc.

Team membership isn't particularly formal, IIRC. Just dive in and get to
work. In my experience, even if formal mentors are available, the people that
succeed in this environment are people who are willing to just jump in and do
stuff. If you're doing things and it's mostly good, as long as you learn from
mistakes and clean up after them it's great. There's way more to do than we
have people to get done and so making forward progress is way better than
waiting for perfection.

Scott K

Old 05-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Ahmed Kamal