Old 05-19-2011, 02:09 PM

Default KVM guests: graceful shutdown upon host reboot

Hi all.

Today I mistakenly typed 'reboot' in
the wrong terminal, which made me remember one of my todos: take care of
a graceful shutdown of all running VM guests. *My VM host just killed
all processes and rebooted, which was not really appreciated by all running
guests, as one might understand.

According to http://serverfault.com/questions/200751/can-kvm-suspend-or-shutdown-guests-automatically-on-host-shutdown
this is taken care of already by some souls at RedHat (and Fedora) with
an init script called libvirt-guests.

On http://libvirt.org/news.html
I see that it exists at least since version 0.8.2, but on Ubuntu 11.04
(libvirt 0.8.8) it's not there. On 10.10 (0.8.3) neither, though I find
some reference to it on https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+source/libvirt/0.8.8-1ubuntu1

Does anybody have an idea about why I cannot find this
script on Ubuntu? *T seems to be in line with the policy of supporting
KVM for server virtualization (which is my use case) and it does eem to
be quite interesting to have!

Greetings, Jurgen--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 05-19-2011, 02:41 PM
"Roderick B. Greening"

On Thursday, May 19, 2011 04:09:23 PM jurgen.depicker@let.be wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Today I mistakenly typed 'reboot' in the wrong terminal, which made me
> remember one of my todos: take care of a graceful shutdown of all running
> VM guests. My VM host just killed all processes and rebooted, which was
> not really appreciated by all running guests, as one might understand.
>
> According to
> http://serverfault.com/questions/200751/can-kvm-suspend-or-shutdown-guests-a
> utomatically-on-host-shutdown this is taken care of already by some souls at
> RedHat (and Fedora) with an init script called libvirt-guests.
>
> On http://libvirt.org/news.html I see that it exists at least since
> version 0.8.2, but on Ubuntu 11.04 (libvirt 0.8.8) it's not there. On
> 10.10 (0.8.3) neither, though I find some reference to it on
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+source/libvirt/0.8.8-1ubuntu1
>
> Does anybody have an idea about why I cannot find this script on Ubuntu? T
> seems to be in line with the policy of supporting KVM for server
> virtualization (which is my use case) and it does eem to be quite
> interesting to have!
> Greetings, Jurgen

I found the following: https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=drjq7vn_0ctn8k3dd

Look at section 5.2 for a possible solution.

Perhaps this is something we can have reviewed by the maintainer of libvirt in
Ubuntu and see if we should implement it.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Nicolas Barcet

On 05/19/2011 04:41 PM, Roderick B. Greening wrote:
> On Thursday, May 19, 2011 04:09:23 PM jurgen.depicker@let.be wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Today I mistakenly typed 'reboot' in the wrong terminal, which made me
>> remember one of my todos: take care of a graceful shutdown of all running
>> VM guests. My VM host just killed all processes and rebooted, which was
>> not really appreciated by all running guests, as one might understand.
>>
>> According to
>> http://serverfault.com/questions/200751/can-kvm-suspend-or-shutdown-guests-a
>> utomatically-on-host-shutdown this is taken care of already by some souls at
>> RedHat (and Fedora) with an init script called libvirt-guests.
>>
>> On http://libvirt.org/news.html I see that it exists at least since
>> version 0.8.2, but on Ubuntu 11.04 (libvirt 0.8.8) it's not there. On
>> 10.10 (0.8.3) neither, though I find some reference to it on
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+source/libvirt/0.8.8-1ubuntu1
>>
>> Does anybody have an idea about why I cannot find this script on Ubuntu? T
>> seems to be in line with the policy of supporting KVM for server
>> virtualization (which is my use case) and it does eem to be quite
>> interesting to have!
>> Greetings, Jurgen
>
> I found the following: https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=drjq7vn_0ctn8k3dd
>
> Look at section 5.2 for a possible solution.
>
> Perhaps this is something we can have reviewed by the maintainer of libvirt in
> Ubuntu and see if we should implement it.

Bug #350936 [1] is covering this topic. At the moment the best solution
is to install mollyguard, but I think a proper solution is being
discussed...

[1]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/+bug/350936

Nick