Old 02-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Javier Uruen Val

Default update on eBox status

Hi there,

Just a few lines to let you know the status on the eBox platform front.

I've been working to make eBox comply with the Debian packaging policy.

I'm going to try summarise the changes we have made to achieve so.

From the packaging point of view we have stripped out a lot of code from the
maintainer scripts. Now they are way simpler.

I have done a lot of changes in the framework to deal with this:

- eBox modules are not enabled by default. The only thing which is enabled by
default is the web interface. The other modules have to be enabled explicitly
by the user.

- When a module is enabled, the user is prompted with a modal window where
she/he is told the actions and file modifications that eBox needs to perform
to enable the module. In case the user accepts to go ahead, we perform the
actions and file modifications. For every file we have to modify we store a
MD5 digest.

- When saving changes, that is when the user configuration is translated into
modifications of configuration files, we compute a MD5 digest for every
single file which is going to modify, in case we detect that a file has been
modified manually we prompt the user to confirm if he wants to overwrite the
file or keep it.

If you want to see how that works now I have recorded a screencast [1]

These are the modules which have been already modified with the above changes:

- ebox-services
- ebox-objects
- ebox-network
- ebox-firewall
- ebox-usersandgroups (LDAP)
- ebox-samba (Samba + PDC)
- ebox-printers (Samba + CUPS)

You can find the above modules here [0].

During today I will probably have the following modules ready:

- ebox-squid (Squid + Dansguardian)
- ebox-dhcp
- ebox-dns
- ebox-ca
- ebox-openvpn
- ebox-trafficshaping

I do not think we can have the following modules ready:

- ebox-mail
- ebox-mailfilter
- ebox-jabber
- ebox-soap

So just a few days before the FF, do you guys think that we have time to
upload the new packages?

Thanks,

Javi

[0] http://people.warp.es/~javi/hardy-ebox/