Old 05-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Asif Iqbal

Default motd is not updating

Hi

I am running ubuntu server 10.04.2 LTS. It does not look like my motd
is getting updated.

I installed all the latest updates using the following commands, few days ago
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude full-upgrade

But I am still seeing this message when ssh into the box

20 packages can be updated.
7 updates are security updates.

I do have update-motd installed.

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Greyson Farias

Hi,

Try # apt-get dist-upgrade

I am running ubuntu server 10.04.2 LTS. It does not look like my motd

is getting updated.

I installed all the latest updates using the following commands, few days ago

*sudo aptitude update

*sudo aptitude full-upgrade

But I am still seeing this message when ssh into the box

*20 packages can be updated.

*7 updates are security updates.

I do have update-motd installed.

--

Asif Iqbal

PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Greyson Farias
Técnico em Informática - CREA/AC 9329TD
Eu prefiro receber documentos em ODF.

Blog Software Livre AC: http://.softwarelivre-ac.org
Linux User # 524921* http://counter.li.org/
Ubuntu User # 32442 http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/index.php

Skype: koyanagui
Twitter: @greysonfarias
Jabber: greyson@jabber.org

Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM
"Carlos A. Carnero Delgado"

Hi,

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running ubuntu server 10.04.2 LTS. It does not look like my motd
> is getting updated.

I had to manually remove motd.local (I think) in order to get the
previous behavior. I think some update, dunno which, borked the file.

HTH,
Carlos.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 PM
"Carlos A. Carnero Delgado"

Hi (again),

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Carlos A. Carnero Delgado
<carloscarnero@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am running ubuntu server 10.04.2 LTS. It does not look like my motd
>> is getting updated.
>
> I had to manually remove motd.local (I think) in order to get the
> previous behavior. I think some update, dunno which, borked the file.

Actually, it was /etc/motd.tail. Sorry. Again

HTH,
Carlos.