Old 04-26-2011, 08:02 AM
James Page

Default Java EE Stack in Universe

One thing that the main Ubuntu archive still lacks is a full Java
Enterprise Edition stack.

I spent a bit of time during Natty working with the JOnAS team to
produce a package based on the binary distribution of JOnAS 5.2.0 which
will make it into the Canonical partner archive.

However I know that they are keen to work together to produce packaging
that could be put into the main Ubuntu archive.

So a couple of things that we would need to considered/addressed:

1) This might be bigger that one release; there are lots of dependencies
which are not packaged yet (looking at this now) which does mean that
there is alot of work to make this happen.

2) JEE Certification - ow2 have a license from Oracle for the JEE
Testing Compatibility kit so we would need to work very closely with
them to ensure that the end produce is JEE certified.

3) Running on OpenJDK; currently the binary packaging for JOnAS does not
pass the JEE testing running on OpenJDK - we would need to figure out
what the issue are as we should not rely on the Oracle JDK in the
partner archive.

I'd really like to understand what the demand for a full JEE stack is
from the Ubuntu server community; personally I've seen a real split
between companies still demanding full JEE (and then not using all of
the features it provides :-)) and those deploying on lightweight
containers such as tomcat and jetty and using development frameworks
such as Spring to provide all of the glue for their applications.

Cheers

James

--
James Page