Old 04-18-2011, 08:09 AM
James Page

Default Jenkins -> Universe

During the Natty cycle I've been working on getting Jenkins (nee Hudson)
+ required dependencies (around ~80) built from source with the aim of
having a set of packages that could be part of the main Ubuntu archive
for Oneiric (see [0]).

This work is pretty much there; Ideally I want to feed this back through
Debian so both distros get the benefit of this package (I have emailed
the debain-java team but with limited response to date).

I hope to work on making this happen during the first part of the
Oneiric cycle; Help in terms of review and sponsorship would be much
appreciated!

Cheers

James

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Jenkins
--
James Page
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server Team

Old 04-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Clint Byrum

Excerpts from James Page's message of Mon Apr 18 01:09:57 -0700 2011:
> During the Natty cycle I've been working on getting Jenkins (nee Hudson)
> + required dependencies (around ~80) built from source with the aim of
> having a set of packages that could be part of the main Ubuntu archive
> for Oneiric (see [0]).
>
> This work is pretty much there; Ideally I want to feed this back through
> Debian so both distros get the benefit of this package (I have emailed
> the debain-java team but with limited response to date).
>
> I hope to work on making this happen during the first part of the
> Oneiric cycle; Help in terms of review and sponsorship would be much
> appreciated!

James this is really, really awesome. I think Jenkins going into the
archive will really enable people to setup CI environments much faster.

Are there any big decisions that need to be made here, or are we just
looking to define the objectives for completing the goal?

Old 04-21-2011, 02:36 PM
James Page

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 12:36 -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > I hope to work on making this happen during the first part of the
> > Oneiric cycle; Help in terms of review and sponsorship would be much
> > appreciated!
>
> James this is really, really awesome. I think Jenkins going into the
> archive will really enable people to setup CI environments much
> faster.

Agreed

> Are there any big decisions that need to be made here, or are we just
> looking to define the objectives for completing the goal?

I think that the really big decision has already been made which was to
rename/fork (or whatever you like to call it) and follow Jenkins rather
than stick with Hudson.

We probably need to discuss plugin management in a bit more detail; they
can be packaged from source but bearing in mind the number of plugins in
the Jenkins update centre this could be an endless task. Plugins built
upstream should work with the packaged version of Jenkins so long as the
supported version numbers are compatible.

We just need to agree objectives and delivery route i.e. Debian or
Ubuntu first....