Old 04-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Hilco Wijbenga

Default Automate upgrade of openssh-server

[Resent with a proper subject.]

Hi all,

I'm trying to automate the setup of an Ubuntu Server 10.04 64bit
system. I am unable to run apt-get upgrade sucessfully (i.e. without
manual intervention). Every time it blocks because of openssh-server
(and portmap):

Setting up openssh-server (1:5.3p1-3ubuntu6) ...

Configuration file `/etc/init/ssh.conf'
==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
N or O : keep your currently-installed version
D : show the differences between the versions
Z : background this process to examine the situation
The default action is to keep your current version.
*** ssh.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

I tried '-y' and '--force-yes'. I tried using aptitude instead of
apt-get. I tried aptitude's safe-upgrade. I tried setting debconf to
Noninteractive. Nothing seems to make any difference. How do I make
sure the upgrade continues automatically?

Cheers,
Hilco

Old 04-18-2011, 01:38 AM
Scott Moser

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:

> [Resent with a proper subject.]
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to automate the setup of an Ubuntu Server 10.04 64bit
> system. I am unable to run apt-get upgrade sucessfully (i.e. without
> manual intervention). Every time it blocks because of openssh-server
> (and portmap):
>
> Setting up openssh-server (1:5.3p1-3ubuntu6) ...
>
> Configuration file `/etc/init/ssh.conf'
> ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
> ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
> What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
> Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
> N or O : keep your currently-installed version
> D : show the differences between the versions
> Z : background this process to examine the situation
> The default action is to keep your current version.
> *** ssh.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

It depends on what you want (to keep the old config file or accept the
new), but you can do:

apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confnew"
or
apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold"

To force dpkg to install one or the other.

Probably invoke like this:

DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get
--option Dpkg::Options::=--force-confold --assume-yes upgrade

Personally, I'd probably save off your old config and then use
force-confnew. dpkg might save it for you anyway, i'm not sure.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Hilco Wijbenga

On 17 April 2011 18:38, Scott Moser <smoser@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
>> Setting up openssh-server (1:5.3p1-3ubuntu6) ...
>>
>> Configuration file `/etc/init/ssh.conf'
>> *==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
>> *==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
>> * What would you like to do about it ? *Your options are:
>> * *Y or I *: install the package maintainer's version
>> * *N or O *: keep your currently-installed version
>> * * *D * * : show the differences between the versions
>> * * *Z * * : background this process to examine the situation
>> *The default action is to keep your current version.
>> *** ssh.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
>
> It depends on what you want (to keep the old config file or accept the
> new), but you can do:
>
> apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confnew"
> or
> apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold"
>
> To force dpkg to install one or the other.
>
> Probably invoke like this:
>
> DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get
> * --option Dpkg::Options::=--force-confold --assume-yes upgrade

Thank you! This had me stumped for hours. Now that I know it's all
pretty obvious, of course. :-)