Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Scott Moser

Default UEC images / cloud-init improvements

Hi,
I'd like to start a thread on the next steps for UEC images and
cloud-init. I've done a fair amount of work in Natty on both of these
fronts. Heres a list of items I think could be focused on in 'O'.

* Documentation
* OVF support. Currently what is there is very raw, I'd like to:
* make sure images are usable by any OVF consuming tool
* modify the disk format to be something non-VMDK, or improve the
linux support for VMDK images (kvm). Right now images are produced
in vmdk format because it is what vmware and virtual-box support
reading. It would be a long term goal to make that something more
friendly.
* support network configuration and see if there is some
common/standard/best-practice ProductSection keys that could be
implemented.
* cloud-init
* support configuration of networking via cloud-config
this would be useful in OVF or other places, where the metadata
comes from a non-network source.
* do better if there is no datasource available, and do not
require one to always be there

Are there other things that peole think should be done with the UEC
images? or with cloud-init?