-   -   Complex deployment testing automation (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/513563-complex-deployment-testing-automation.html)

James Page 04-13-2011 09:31 AM

Complex deployment testing automation

We talked about doing some automation around testing of more complex
Ubuntu Server deployments at UDS-N (but time did not permit) - for
example kerberos, Multi-master LDAP, DNS etc...

I think this is worth re-visiting; automating something using ec2/puppet
(and maybe ensemble?) might make this fairly easy todo and would add
more depth to the testing that we already do automatically on ISO's and
ec2 images.

It would be good to brainstorm some deployment scenarios on this list in
preparation for UDS-O.

Cheers

James

--
James Page
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server Team

Etienne Goyer 04-13-2011 03:31 PM

On 11-04-13 05:31 AM, James Page wrote:
> We talked about doing some automation around testing of more complex
> Ubuntu Server deployments at UDS-N (but time did not permit) - for
> example kerberos, Multi-master LDAP, DNS etc...

I have no clue on the topic, but I do have an interest in it. Count me in.

> I think this is worth re-visiting; automating something using ec2/puppet
> (and maybe ensemble?) might make this fairly easy todo and would add
> more depth to the testing that we already do automatically on ISO's and
> ec2 images.

I know some people use Jenkins for testing ISO. It can probably be
coaxed into testing distributed systems too. Is that a good idea?
Shall we consider Jenkins at all?

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd

~= Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings =~

Gustavo Niemeyer 04-13-2011 04:02 PM

Complex deployment testing automation

Hey James,

> I think this is worth re-visiting; automating something using ec2/puppet
> (and maybe ensemble?) might make this fairly easy todo and would add
> more depth to the testing that we already do automatically on ISO's and
> ec2 images.

Yeah, that sounds like a perfect fit for Ensemble. We've actually
been doing exactly that already just with the initial tests. Clint
has been developing the principia repository at Launchpad [1] which
already contains some bootstrapping formulas.

We'd be happy to discuss further how we can make Ensemble help more
with that kind of testing.

[1] https://launchpad.net/principia

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net

James Page 04-13-2011 09:27 PM

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 11:31 -0400, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> I know some people use Jenkins for testing ISO. It can probably be
> coaxed into testing distributed systems too. Is that a good idea?
> Shall we consider Jenkins at all?

I was thinking along those lines....