-   -   Nagios (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/507575-nagios.html)

Chuck Short 03-30-2011 02:59 PM

Nagios

Hi,

I think we should re-evaluate if nagios is the monitoring solution we
want to support and if it easy make really really easy to deploy.

chuck

Clint Byrum 03-30-2011 06:25 PM

Nagios

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 10:59 -0400, Chuck Short wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think we should re-evaluate if nagios is the monitoring solution we
> want to support and if it easy make really really easy to deploy.

Seems to me that we should consider dropping nagios from main and
promoting icinga as its replacement:

https://www.icinga.org/faq/why-a-fork/

Greg Wallace 03-30-2011 07:58 PM

Nagios

OpenNMS*www.opennms.org*and Zenoss*www.zenoss.com are two other options that I think are also worthy of consideration.

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Clint Byrum <clint@ubuntu.com> wrote:

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 10:59 -0400, Chuck Short wrote:

> Hi,

> I think we should re-evaluate if nagios is the monitoring solution we

> want to support and if it easy make really really easy to deploy.

Seems to me that we should consider dropping nagios from main and

promoting icinga as its replacement:

https://www.icinga.org/faq/why-a-fork/

Greg Wallace
Mobile: +1 919.247.3165
Twitter:* @gtewallace
http://www.google.com/profiles/gtewallace.

Chuck Short 03-30-2011 09:06 PM

Nagios

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:58:40 -0400
Greg Wallace <gtewallace@gmail.com> wrote:

> OpenNMS www.*opennms*.org and Zenoss www.*zenoss*.com are two other
> options that I think are also worthy of consideration.
>
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Clint Byrum <clint@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 10:59 -0400, Chuck Short wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I think we should re-evaluate if nagios is the monitoring
> > > solution we want to support and if it easy make really really
> > > easy to deploy.
> > >

> > Seems to me that we should consider dropping nagios from main and
> > promoting icinga as its replacement:
> >
> > https://www.icinga.org/faq/why-a-fork/
> >

> > --

I was thinking the same thing.

chuck

Thierry Carrez 03-31-2011 07:10 AM

Nagios

Félim Whiteley wrote:
> I'd have to put my +1 for getting Shinken (http://www.shinken-monitoring.org/)
> in it's place. It's config file compatible but is actively developed (ok not
> completely fair on Nagios but it's a monolithic engine and the web interface
> still looks like they are partying like it's 1997). Perhaps it's a little
> early in the dev cycle for Shinken but I've found the folks on the dev list
> really pushing it past Nagios. Also its got a comedy like Ubuntu release name
> for 0.5 ;)

+1 for Shinken, which is designed in a cloud-compatible way (multiple
types of parallel workers). Compatibility with Nagios config files is
definitely a +. Written in Python.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Ubuntu core developer

Dave Walker 03-31-2011 10:24 AM

Nagios

are two other options that I think are also worthy of
consideration.

<SNIP>

Seems to me that we should consider dropping nagios from main
and

promoting icinga as its replacement:

<SNIP>

Hi,

To try and make comparison easier, can those interested please add
to the following feature comparison matrix [0].* For the purpose of
a Feature it can be a positive or negative thing.* Please add
suitable references where possible.

Thanks for your help.

[0]
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase/FeatureComparison/NetworkMonitoring

Kind Regards,

Dave Walker

Michael Jeanson 03-31-2011 01:44 PM

Nagios

> > I'd have to put my +1 for getting Shinken
> > (http://www.shinken-monitoring.org/)
> > in it's place. It's config file compatible but is actively developed
> > (ok not
> > completely fair on Nagios but it's a monolithic engine and the web
> > interface
> > still looks like they are partying like it's 1997). Perhaps it's a
> > little
> > early in the dev cycle for Shinken but I've found the folks on the
> > dev list
> > really pushing it past Nagios. Also its got a comedy like Ubuntu
> > release name
> > for 0.5 ;)
>
> +1 for Shinken, which is designed in a cloud-compatible way (multiple
> types of parallel workers). Compatibility with Nagios config files is
> definitely a +. Written in Python.
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)
> Ubuntu core developer

+1 for Shinken too, it is developed on Ubuntu and I already made some
basic packages in a PPA (https://launchpad.net/~shinken-dev/+archive/ppa).
It may not be very mature yet but it has a very interesting feature set
while retaining compatibility with Nagios configuration files.

--
Michael Jeanson
Révolution Linux - www.rlnx.com

Etienne Goyer 03-31-2011 02:34 PM

Nagios

On 11-03-30 03:57 PM, Ralph Janke wrote:
> On 03/30/2011 02:25 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 10:59 -0400, Chuck Short wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think we should re-evaluate if nagios is the monitoring solution we
>>> want to support and if it easy make really really easy to deploy.
>>>
>> Seems to me that we should consider dropping nagios from main and
>> promoting icinga as its replacement:
>>
>> https://www.icinga.org/faq/why-a-fork/
>>
> +1 from me

Not that I care a whole lot, but isn't this somewhat the same debate as
MySQL vs. one of the many forks?

Nagios is now an household brand in IT. I would be very, very cautious
about dumping that out in favor of a recent fork. I am all for doing a
competitive analysis, but please take market adoption into account.

(Not that I have any love for Nagios; it's hairy and bynzantine. Just
saying that we should be cautious here.)

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd

~= Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings =~