Old 03-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Clint Byrum

Default Nagios

Excerpts from Etienne Goyer's message of Thu Mar 31 07:34:56 -0700 2011:
> On 11-03-30 03:57 PM, Ralph Janke wrote:

> >> Seems to me that we should consider dropping nagios from main and
> >> promoting icinga as its replacement:
> >>
> >> https://www.icinga.org/faq/why-a-fork/
> >>
> > +1 from me
>
> Not that I care a whole lot, but isn't this somewhat the same debate as
> MySQL vs. one of the many forks?
>
> Nagios is now an household brand in IT. I would be very, very cautious
> about dumping that out in favor of a recent fork. I am all for doing a
> competitive analysis, but please take market adoption into account.

We have already committed to Nagios for 4 more years with 10.04. Its
not going anywhere.

Meanwhile in 1 year, we will be making another commitment with "P". I'd
like to see us make the delta between O and P's seeds very small, and
largely subtractive (removing things we don't want to support).

So if we're going to make a bold move, we should analyze these things
with an eye for where it appears they will go in the next year.

IMO, Nagios will remain popular, but lose ground slowly to alternatives
(as it has for the last few years). Icinga is a mystery to me, but
should get better than Nagios. Zenoss seems to be gaining steam at a
rapid pace. This Shinken thing looks *very* interesting, and they've
made a very wise decision to stick w/ nagios config file compatibility.

The way I'd like to see this happen is people read up on all the
alternatives, talk to users, and bring their experience and knowledge
of the conflicts, positives, and negatives for each with them to a UDS
session. We should try to accomplish as much as possible here and on
the wiki page so the session can stay focused on the question at hand:
Should nagios remain in main, and if not, what would take its place?

Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Brad Alexander

One other thing I noticed (the munin question reminded me of it since
they live on the same box). I have noticed that if the nagios server
goes high load, all of the servers it monitors has a high load. Say,
for instance, the load on the nagios server is in a warning state, say
3.43. All of the servers being monitored will go into warning with a
load average of 3.43. I have a friend who runs it on ubuntu, and he
has seen the same issue. Is this a configuration issue on my part or a
bug?

Thanks,
--b

Old 08-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Mauricio Tavares

I would like to help the documentation project by editing/adding
to http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Nagios. Hopefully that means I can
have a "development" area I can do my stuff before it becomes approved
and goes into production. =)

One of the (selfish) reasons is that I recently got nagios running in
a centos 6.2 vm and would like to share that experience, including
suggestions to make life a bit easier when adding new victims to
nagios. I have a feeling a lot of the stuff would apply to earlier
versions.

Anywhoo, my wiki username is MauricioTavares.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 08/30/2012 04:58 PM, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> I would like to help the documentation project by editing/adding
> to http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Nagios. Hopefully that means I can
> have a "development" area I can do my stuff before it becomes approved
> and goes into production. =)

I've setup a homepage at : http://wiki.centos.org/MauricioTavares you
should be able to add content under there.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Mauricio Tavares

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 08/30/2012 04:58 PM, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>> I would like to help the documentation project by editing/adding
>> to http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Nagios. Hopefully that means I can
>> have a "development" area I can do my stuff before it becomes approved
>> and goes into production. =)
>
> I've setup a homepage at : http://wiki.centos.org/MauricioTavares you
> should be able to add content under there.

Embarrassingly stupid question: how do I copy the current nagios
page so I can edit it?

Old 09-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 5:56 AM, Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>> On 08/30/2012 04:58 PM, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>>> I would like to help the documentation project by editing/adding
>>> to http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Nagios. Hopefully that means I can
>>> have a "development" area I can do my stuff before it becomes approved
>>> and goes into production. =)
>>
>> I've setup a homepage at : http://wiki.centos.org/MauricioTavares you
>> should be able to add content under there.
>>
> Embarrassingly stupid question: how do I copy the current nagios
> page so I can edit it?

You can get the original text by adding a "?action=raw" to the URL like so:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Nagios?action=raw

Akemi