Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Chuck Short

Default Puppet Integration

Hi,

Ubuntu server should be offering better Puppet integration. This
includes the following:

* Making it really easy to deploy a puppet master server.
* Possible d-i integration
* Pre-canned puppet "reciepes"

Regards
chuck

Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Etienne Goyer

On 11-03-30 10:53 AM, Chuck Short wrote:
> Ubuntu server should be offering better Puppet integration. This
> includes the following:
>
> * Making it really easy to deploy a puppet master server.
> * Possible d-i integration
> * Pre-canned puppet "reciepes"

It's been an ongoing topic for while. I think we really have the
opportunity to differentiate Ubuntu here. In particular, preseedable
d-i integration would make Ubuntu deployment a completely hands-off
operation. Again, count me in for that one!

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd

~= Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings =~

Old 03-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Douglas Stanley

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Etienne Goyer
<etienne.goyer@canonical.com> wrote:
> On 11-03-30 10:53 AM, Chuck Short wrote:
>> Ubuntu server should be offering better Puppet integration. This
>> includes the following:
>>
>> * Making it really easy to deploy a puppet master server.
>> * Possible d-i integration
>> * Pre-canned puppet "reciepes"
>
> It's been an ongoing topic for while. *I think we really have the
> opportunity to differentiate Ubuntu here. *In particular, preseedable
> d-i integration would make Ubuntu deployment a completely hands-off
> operation. *Again, count me in for that one!

I'd also like to see this, as well as some possible pre-canned
recipes/manifests. Even if they were just in an extra docs package, or
on a dedicated wiki section or something like that.

Doug

Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Adam Gandelman

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:10:47AM -0400, Douglas Stanley wrote:
> > It's been an ongoing topic for while. *I think we really have the
> > opportunity to differentiate Ubuntu here. *In particular, preseedable
> > d-i integration would make Ubuntu deployment a completely hands-off
> > operation. *Again, count me in for that one!
> >

> I'd also like to see this, as well as some possible pre-canned
> recipes/manifests. Even if they were just in an extra docs package, or
> on a dedicated wiki section or something like that.
>
> Doug

I've been thinking about this, too. It would be great if users who are creating a new puppet-centric infrastructure can start by creating a puppet master node with the puppetmaster + new modules package. The modules package could contain pre-written modules for common services that define and take care of installation, configuration, management, etc. If done correctly, the entire environment could be in-place and waiting before any additional systems are booted. Another option would be to have additional puppet-* or puppetmasterd-module-* packages, each containing a module for a specific service or need.

Initially it felt like Puppet was still so new that it was difficult to find defined best-practices, but with the publication of the Puppet Style Guide ( http://www.puppetlabs.com/blog/a-question-of-style/ ) it seems it wouldn't be too hard to develop and ship manifests and modules that meet the standards.

---
Adam Gandelman

Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Paul Graydon