FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Server Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Chuck Short
 
Default Revisit Xen support

Hi,

In the past Xen support in Ubuntu as a host has been difficult for a
variety of reasons most notably no upstream kernel support. Now that
dom0 should be coming into the vanilla kernel soon. I think its time to
revisit supporting Xen as a hypervisor as well.

Regards
chuck

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Etienne Goyer
 
Default Revisit Xen support

On 11-03-30 10:27 AM, Chuck Short wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the past Xen support in Ubuntu as a host has been difficult for a
> variety of reasons most notably no upstream kernel support. Now that
> dom0 should be coming into the vanilla kernel soon. I think its time to
> revisit supporting Xen as a hypervisor as well.

I do not have much to contribute to the technical discussion around Xen
dom0. All I can say is that, in my work with corporate end-users, it's
a FAQ; seems like Xen is entrenched in a lot of organisations.
Maintaining and supporting a dom0 kernel would make the life of these
organisations much easier, and even open new opportunities for Ubuntu in
the enterprises.


--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd
Ubuntu Certified Instructor - LPIC-3

~= Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings =~

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 03-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Douglas Stanley
 
Default Revisit Xen support

+1 for xen dom0 support!

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Chuck Short <chuck.short@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the past Xen support in Ubuntu as a host has been difficult for a
> variety of reasons most notably no upstream kernel support. Now that
> dom0 should be coming into the vanilla kernel soon. I think its time to
> revisit supporting Xen as a hypervisor as well.
>
> Regards
> chuck
>
> --
> ubuntu-server mailing list
> ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
> More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
>



--
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 04-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Jorge Armando Medina
 
Default Revisit Xen support

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 03/30/2011 08:35 AM, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> On 11-03-30 10:27 AM, Chuck Short wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the past Xen support in Ubuntu as a host has been difficult for a
>> variety of reasons most notably no upstream kernel support. Now that
>> dom0 should be coming into the vanilla kernel soon. I think its time to
>> revisit supporting Xen as a hypervisor as well.
>
> I do not have much to contribute to the technical discussion around Xen
> dom0. All I can say is that, in my work with corporate end-users, it's
> a FAQ; seems like Xen is entrenched in a lot of organisations.
> Maintaining and supporting a dom0 kernel would make the life of these
> organisations much easier, and even open new opportunities for Ubuntu in
> the enterprises.
>
>

I agree, there is a lot of organizations that prefere Xen over KVM, much
of them are stuck with xen 3.2 in hardy, or a manual setup compiling
from sources.

My vote for xen revist

- --
Compugraf
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAk2WVykACgkQxXSEIijkBjK08wCfYgTi1ym3R+ lkXcd8sUgZphqb
cD4Anj7RL62D9K+pq6XinJzjXkA3vm1o
=wYyh
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 04-01-2011, 11:09 PM
RaphaŽl Pinson
 
Default Revisit Xen support

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Chuck Short <chuck.short@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the past Xen support in Ubuntu as a host has been difficult for a
> variety of reasons most notably no upstream kernel support. Now that
> dom0 should be coming into the vanilla kernel soon. I think its time to
> revisit supporting Xen as a hypervisor as well.


This is great news. Where I work, we had considered using Lucid as a
dom0 but it was just a mess, and we did not want to consider KVM, so
we ended up using CentOS dom0 (and even then, we got stuck with 2.6.18
kernels until recently, which was a big issue for Lucid and up domUs).
I'll all for an officiel support for Ubuntu dom0, especially if it's
vanilla!


RaphaŽl

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 04-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Clint Byrum
 
Default Revisit Xen support

Excerpts from Chuck Short's message of Wed Mar 30 07:27:50 -0700 2011:
> Hi,
>
> In the past Xen support in Ubuntu as a host has been difficult for a
> variety of reasons most notably no upstream kernel support. Now that
> dom0 should be coming into the vanilla kernel soon. I think its time to
> revisit supporting Xen as a hypervisor as well.

Just playing devil's advocate here.

Other than people already having familiarity with Xen, what is a
compelling reason to support it in favor of, or in addition to, KVM?

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 04-02-2011, 12:05 AM
RaphaŽl Pinson
 
Default Revisit Xen support

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Clint Byrum <clint@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Chuck Short's message of Wed Mar 30 07:27:50 -0700 2011:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the past Xen support in Ubuntu as a host has been difficult for a
>> variety of reasons most notably no upstream kernel support. Now that
>> dom0 should be coming into the vanilla kernel soon. I think its time to
>> revisit supporting Xen as a hypervisor as well.
>
> Just playing devil's advocate here.
>
> Other than people already having familiarity with Xen, what is a
> compelling reason to support it in favor of, or in addition to, KVM?


Familiarity is a good reason I think, but also industry standards, and
hardware considerations. I think a lot of big companies expect major
distributions such as Ubuntu to provide a proper support for such a
standard as Xen. I know it came as a disappointment for us that using
Lucid as a (production) Xen dom0 was nearly impossible. Also, afair,
KVM requires hardware support. Most recent machines provide it, but
it's not rare to find servers that are too old to use it, and then
you'd rather use Xen for servers than VMWare...


RaphaŽl

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 04-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Michael Zoet
 
Default Revisit Xen support

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Am 02.04.2011 02:05, schrieb RaphaŽl Pinson:
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Clint Byrum <clint@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Chuck Short's message of Wed Mar 30 07:27:50 -0700 2011:
>>
>> Just playing devil's advocate here.
>>
>> Other than people already having familiarity with Xen, what is a
>> compelling reason to support it in favor of, or in addition to, KVM?
>
>
> Familiarity is a good reason I think, but also industry standards, and
> hardware considerations. I think a lot of big companies expect major
> distributions such as Ubuntu to provide a proper support for such a
> standard as Xen. I know it came as a disappointment for us that using
> Lucid as a (production) Xen dom0 was nearly impossible. Also, afair,
> KVM requires hardware support. Most recent machines provide it, but
> it's not rare to find servers that are too old to use it, and then
> you'd rather use Xen for servers than VMWare...
>

I agree with that! Really big companies choose the things they know.
And if they have to switch the distro they do it.

Another advantage for Xen: it is more mature and easier to setup (at
least for me because I have only one configuration file I can change
with vim). Much more documentation around that works. You have much
more network options. And you can easily assign a hardware NIC to a VM
with Xen. With KVM this does not work on every hardware... (Now I have
2 15.000,- ? servers where I can not do the things with KVM I could
easily do with Xen. This was a pitty experience...)


Michael


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAk2W3E8ACgkQBvfZ5167qr84eACfSCUbvBfbvl YQPTOeZ0pqxgJE
QfkAmwQuRa+u544lWrxruLWj8IIOiQX3
=sqYU
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 04-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Serge van Ginderachter
 
Default Revisit Xen support

On 2 April 2011 01:51, Clint Byrum <clint@ubuntu.com> wrote:


Other than people already having familiarity with Xen, what is a

compelling reason to support it in favor of, or in addition to, KVM?
Performance.
--




Met vriendelijke groet,Serge van Ginderachter







--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 04-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Nathan Stratton Treadway
 
Default Revisit Xen support

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 16:51:04 -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Other than people already having familiarity with Xen, what is a
> compelling reason to support it in favor of, or in addition to, KVM?

I don't know all the details myself, but my coworkers did some testing
and found that KVM was not able to isolate the virtual machines properly
when there was a high IO load. In the end they switched back to
running Debian on the Dom0 so we could use Xen.

So +1 for Xen Dom0 support in Ubuntu.

Nathan

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:47 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org