Old 05-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Jorge Armando Medina

Default Revisit Xen support

On 03/30/2011 08:27 AM, Chuck Short wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the past Xen support in Ubuntu as a host has been difficult for a
> variety of reasons most notably no upstream kernel support. Now that
> dom0 should be coming into the vanilla kernel soon. I think its time to
> revisit supporting Xen as a hypervisor as well.
>
> Regards
> chuck

Hi there,

Linus just accepted almost all the xen bits in 2.6.39+, this will allow
Linux to run in Xen as Domain-0 and DomainU fully paravirtulized, more info:

http://blogs.oracle.com/wim/entry/linux_mainline_contains_all_the?

http://www.kernel.org/diff/diffview.cgi?file=/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots/patch-2.6.39-git20.bz2

Best regards.

--
Jorge Armando Medina
Computación Gráfica de México

Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Mark Dokter

On 5/30/11 8:35 PM, Jorge Armando Medina wrote:
> On 03/30/2011 08:27 AM, Chuck Short wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the past Xen support in Ubuntu as a host has been difficult for a
>> variety of reasons most notably no upstream kernel support. Now that
>> dom0 should be coming into the vanilla kernel soon. I think its time to
>> revisit supporting Xen as a hypervisor as well.
>>
>> Regards
>> chuck
>>
> Hi there,
>
> Linus just accepted almost all the xen bits in 2.6.39+, this will allow
> Linux to run in Xen as Domain-0 and DomainU fully paravirtulized, more info:

I'd really like to see some more distribution support (especially
ubuntu) behind xen.
DomU support in natty is already *not so bad* and with a 2.6.40/3.0
kernel in oneiric the dom0 support shouldn't be much of a problem
either. Just the hypervisor that's missing...
I am using xen 4.1 packages on natty. They still have some rough edges
but if you know what you are doing they already work *not so bad* too
I put the packages online at [1]. They're basically a debian-unstable
remake.

[1]
https://launchpad.net/~dokter/+archive/xen-4.1

> Best regards.