Old 02-08-2008, 05:47 PM
"Michael Behrens"

Default Forum Sticky Page for Ubuntu Server Team

Hi All,

In talks with Mathiaz and others we were discussing better integration within the
ubuntu community, to raise the prominence/awareness of the team as well as
the involvement of new members and the community at large.

One of the topics raised was the official ubuntu forums, there were two items
which were discussed.

1. A forum sticky page that gave general information about the Ubuntu Server
Team in the "Servers & Security" forum.

2. Splitting the forum and moving its location.* Currently the "Servers & Security"
is listed as a "Other Community Discussions".* The split would make a specific
"Server Environments" forum, listed in the "Main Support Categories" and "Security"

remaining in the "Other Community Discussions".

The forum council has agreed to give us a sticky post in the "Servers & Security"
forum as it exists now and are discussing the forum split, I will update the team

at the next meeting regarding that.

-- Below is the 2nd draft of the proposed forum sticky for information about
the server team.* The goal is to provide sufficient and relevant information
about the Ubuntu Server Team without creating another place which we have

to actively update (we have a wiki, that is what we'll use).* Therefore any
additions below should reflect generalized information.* The second goal was
to raise the awareness of the team to the community through the forum, to

attract new members and to bridge support needs back into the team, as we
are the relevant community for it.

So, please take a look at the below and offer back relevant comments and
ideas you think belong to such a post.

Backgroud:

Welcome to the Ubuntu Server Team Community, the group comprises many different roles
and experience levels, some speciliazed or package specific and some general such as
overall support.

As team, we are dedicated to providing support and development for the Ubuntu Server
Edition.* This includes bug-fixes, triaging, packaging, hardware support, server
software support and configuration support for all releases.

We are a friendly group and always willing to help, both in the forums and through
other mediums such as IRC (quite popular).* Below you will find information
about the help we can provide and how you can join in the fun as well.

Team Information:

Official wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/
Official Launchpad page: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-server

Getting Involved:

Everyone is welcome!.* The Ubuntu Server Team is always glad to see fresh faces of all
levels of experience, from the completely new, up to professionals, all who use the Server
Edition.* Our goal is to provide the best production level linux to those who need linux

servers, come be a part of the team!*

You can find more information about getting involved at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/GettingInvolved/

Server Documentation:

Official Server Guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/ (See Advanced Topics)
Community Maintained How-To's: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Servers

Support:

Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7
IRC: irc.freenode.net / #ubuntu-server
Mailing List: ubuntu-server@ubuntu.com

List of Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-server/

Closing:

The Ubuntu Server Team would like to thank everyone for there help.* A final
reminder that it is through the community we make the Server Edition better

and the more participation, the better it gets, so get involved!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/GettingInvolved/

Thanks,

Michael

/ faulkes-

Old 02-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Friday 08 February 2008 13:47, Michael Behrens wrote:

> Support:
>
> Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Please don't list the forums as a place to get support from the server team
unless someone is actually comitted to give support there. AFAIK there are
very few developers who spend even minimal time on the forums and we
shouldn't raise expectations of what will be available there.

Scott K

Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 PM
"Michael Behrens"

On Feb 8, 2008 5:02 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:

On Friday 08 February 2008 13:47, Michael Behrens wrote:

> Support:
>
> Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Please don't list the forums as a place to get support from the server team
unless someone is actually comitted to give support there. *AFAIK there are
very few developers who spend even minimal time on the forums and we

shouldn't raise expectations of what will be available there.
The Ubuntu Server Team is not just developers though, there are operational
people as well.* I can't argue that people may not spend time on the forums

as I don't know everyone or their habits.*

I can say that I do partake in the forums and help where I can, I would certainly
commit to being an active participant in the server forum.

I do think the forums give insight into operational issues and configuration

scenarios which are or should be relevant to the server team.

Additionally, I think we need to make a distinction, that the listed support
areas are areas in which support and questions can be asked, rather than

being defined by who "owns" them.

Michael

Old 02-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Friday 08 February 2008 17:27, Michael Behrens wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2008 5:02 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 08 February 2008 13:47, Michael Behrens wrote:
> > > Support:
> > >
> > > Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7
> >
> > Please don't list the forums as a place to get support from the server
> > team
> > unless someone is actually comitted to give support there. AFAIK there
> > are
> > very few developers who spend even minimal time on the forums and we
> > shouldn't raise expectations of what will be available there.
>
> The Ubuntu Server Team is not just developers though, there are operational
> people as well. I can't argue that people may not spend time on the forums
> as I don't know everyone or their habits.

Sure. That's why I said unless ... I don't want to create a false sense of
expectation, but if there are people on board for it, that's great.

> I can say that I do partake in the forums and help where I can, I would
> certainly
> commit to being an active participant in the server forum.

Sounds good.

> I do think the forums give insight into operational issues and
> configuration scenarios which are or should be relevant to the server team.
>
> Additionally, I think we need to make a distinction, that the listed
> support areas are areas in which support and questions can be asked, rather
> than being defined by who "owns" them.

Agreed. My concern about the forums is that IME the quality level of answers
there is very inconsistent and I think if we (meaning Ubuntu Server Team) are
going to list it as a place we provide support, then we ought to make sure we
have resources to keep the quality where we would want it.

BTW, if you run into mail server questions feel free to ping me on IRC about
them.

Scott K

Old 02-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Mathias Gug

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 05:27:18PM -0500, Michael Behrens wrote:

> > Please don't list the forums as a place to get support from the server
> > team
> > unless someone is actually comitted to give support there. AFAIK there
> > are
> > very few developers who spend even minimal time on the forums and we
> > shouldn't raise expectations of what will be available there.
>

> The Ubuntu Server Team is not just developers though, there are operational
> people as well. I can't argue that people may not spend time on the forums
> as I don't know everyone or their habits.

That raises the question of the Ubuntu Server Team is. I don't think it
should be reduced to the members of the ubuntu-server team on LP, which
tend to be Developers. I'd consider people helping other on
#ubuntu-server, on ubuntu-server@l.u.c and the forums (also I've never
been there myself) to be somehow part of the Server Team. May-be an
Ubuntu Server Community ?

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Friday 08 February 2008 17:37, Mathias Gug wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 05:27:18PM -0500, Michael Behrens wrote:
> > > Please don't list the forums as a place to get support from the server
> > > team
> > > unless someone is actually comitted to give support there. AFAIK there
> > > are
> > > very few developers who spend even minimal time on the forums and we
> > > shouldn't raise expectations of what will be available there.
> >
> > The Ubuntu Server Team is not just developers though, there are
> > operational people as well. I can't argue that people may not spend time
> > on the forums as I don't know everyone or their habits.
>
> That raises the question of the Ubuntu Server Team is. I don't think it
> should be reduced to the members of the ubuntu-server team on LP, which
> tend to be Developers. I'd consider people helping other on
> #ubuntu-server, on ubuntu-server@l.u.c and the forums (also I've never
> been there myself) to be somehow part of the Server Team. May-be an
> Ubuntu Server Community ?

I think once the bugmail split out is done, it'll be more reasonable for more
people to join, so you may see more of the other sorts of people signing up.

Agree we don't want to narrow of a definition, but I think that there ought to
be at least a tenuous connection back to the server-team (e.g. someone on
server-team volunteers to be forums liaison and keep an eye on it).

Scott K

Old 02-08-2008, 09:45 PM
"Michael Behrens"

On Feb 8, 2008 5:37 PM, Mathias Gug <mathiaz@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> The Ubuntu Server Team is not just developers though, there are operational
> people as well. *I can't argue that people may not spend time on the forums
> as I don't know everyone or their habits.

That raises the question of the Ubuntu Server Team is. I don't think it
should be reduced to the members of the ubuntu-server team on LP, which
tend to be Developers. I'd consider people helping other on

#ubuntu-server, on ubuntu-server@l.u.c and the forums (also I've never
been there myself) to be somehow part of the Server Team. May-be an
Ubuntu Server Community ?

I guess from my perspective, it is a community as it stands, granted that
I only recently joined, most of the people I've talked with are developers.* One or
two have admitted to being admins.

That is where we have common ground, from the developers to the operational

people (admins), foster that and we built a very tight community and product.
The effect on the larger community is that people see greater adoption rates and
greater interaction, leading to more members (both developers and others).

Michael
/ faulkes-

Old 02-08-2008, 09:47 PM
"Michael Behrens"

On Feb 8, 2008 5:42 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:

I think once the bugmail split out is done, it'll be more reasonable for more
people to join, so you may see more of the other sorts of people signing up.

That's something more in depth where I don't have sufficient information to

comment on, so I've accept that.
*
Agree we don't want to narrow of a definition, but I think that there ought to

be at least a tenuous connection back to the server-team (e.g. someone on
server-team volunteers to be forums liaison and keep an eye on it).

I will certainly volunteer for it, given the permission of the team to take an active

role in that area.

Michael
/ faulkes-