Old 02-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Mathias Gug

Default Server Team 2008-02-06 meeting minutes - ESX testing

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 12:54:31PM +0100, Rönnblom Janåke /Teknous wrote:
> Im running hardy on ESX 3.0.x with the normal kernel but Im interested if there
> is a
> better kernel and/or if the vmware-tools are availible in hardy for ESX?

Thanks for reporting the result of your test. Could you try to use the
linux-virtual kernel instead of the generic one ? How did you install
the guest ?

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 02-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Mathias Gug

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 04:17:59PM +0100, Rönnblom Janåke /Teknous wrote:
> >Thanks for reporting the result of your test. Could you try to use the
> >linux-virtual kernel instead of the generic one ? How did you install
> >the guest ?
>
> I used the alpha cd image for my initial install in december 2007. I have a few
> other
> hardys running in ESX also and those I did install for the latest alpha 4.

Just to make things complete, were you using the ubuntu-server image ?

> The server is an ESX 3.0.2 and I also have an ESX 3.5 availible which I'll try
> later. Im
> running the guest in 32 bit for now but can test with 64 on the ESX 3.5. For
> the NIC driver
> Im using pcnet32 and atleast in 3.5 you can manually shift to e1000. I'll also
> be able to
> try this later on.

That would be awesome.

> root@hardy:~# uname -a
> Linux hardy 2.6.24-7-virtual #1 SMP Thu Feb 7 02:39:21 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> But what are the difference between the "normal" kernel and the "virtual" one?

The virtual flavour of the kernel is a stripped down version of the
kernel. It doesn't include all the drivers.

By "normal", do you refer to the -server flavour ? There is also a
-generic flavour, used by the desktop cds.

> However the vmware-tools are not availible in hardy as far as I can see. I'll
> try and compile them
> myself and see if I'll fail as miserably as last time I tried it

The vmware tools are available under the open-vm-tools package, which is
in universe.

You may also wanna try JeOS [1], which a stripped down version Ubuntu
targeted for virtual guests.

[1]: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS