Old 02-08-2008, 10:46 AM
"ml@bortal.de"

Default How to upgrade libnss-ldap on dapper 6.06 LTS

Hello List,

how do i best upgrade libnss-ldap from dapper (libnss-ldap
238-1.1ubuntu1) to libnss-ldap verssion >= v245?
I dont like the idea to compile it from source since i then have to
maintain it manually.

How would you do this?

Thanks, Mario

Old 02-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Daniel Hahler

Hello,

> how do i best upgrade libnss-ldap from dapper (libnss-ldap
> 238-1.1ubuntu1) to libnss-ldap verssion >= v245?
> I dont like the idea to compile it from source since i then have to
> maintain it manually.

You could do the following:
1. Add Hardy sources to your apt sources.list
2. $ sudo apt-get update
3. $ apt-get source libnss-ldap, which should give you 258-1ubuntu2
4. $ apt-get build-dep libnss-dap
5. cd libnss-ldap*
6. debuild -uc -us

Then you have the sources from the most recent Ubuntu version compiled
as .deb.
You need to manually track updates though, unless a newer version enters
the archive, e.g. when upgrading to Hardy.

Instead of steps 1.-3. you can also get the source from launchpad
(https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libnss-ldap/258-1ubuntu2) and
unpack it using dpkg-source.

Instead of building the package on the system directly (steps 4-6), you
could tools like use pbuilder, which build them in a clean environment
and allow e.g. building packages for Dapper on a Hardy system.

If you need to deploy packages to more systems, "local repositories" or
Launchpad's PPA service are a good option, too.

Hope this helps.

--
http://daniel.hahler.de/

Old 02-14-2008, 11:31 AM
"ml@bortal.de"

Hello List,

how do i best upgrade libnss-ldap from dapper (libnss-ldap
238-1.1ubuntu1) to libnss-ldap version >= v245?
Without ending up in a dependency disaster, of course

I tried to use the source package from hardy, but then i run into
dependecny problems with packages that do not exist on dapper
(ldap-auth-config for example)

How would you upgrade libnss-ldap in my case?

Thanks, Mario

Old 02-15-2008, 06:17 AM
"ml@bortal.de"

Hi Daniel,

it looks like that i run into dependency problems when i try to build
the libnss-ldap package from hardy.

It requires ldap-auth-config and therefore ldap-auth-client which both
are not in the dapper archive.

If i install those two packages manually (from hardy) then it
complayins about the version of a libpam-ldap :-/

What other alternatives do i have without running into such dependency
problems?

Cheers, Mario

Hello,