Old 03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
"Nikolai K. Bochev"

Default virt-manager including a feature in lucid

Hello list ,

I am not sure if this can be done in an easy way, but upstream virt-manager just added the ability to manually specify the network interface to which the virtual machine should be attached. This is necessary because the only proper way for now is by using netcf when working on a remote machine. Since i doubt ubuntu will have it ported and working anytime soon, i was wondering if the feature can be backported to the current lucid version of virt-manager.

The commit is right here : http://hg.fedorahosted.org/hg/virt-manager/rev/a48333f1439d

Related talk* here: https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2010-March/msg00017.html
and here :* https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2010-March/msg00031.html

Regards.

--

Nikolai K. Bochev
System Administrator

Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 AM

> Hello list ,

> I am not sure if this can be done in an easy way, but upstream virt-

> manager just added the ability to manually specify the network

> interface to which the virtual machine should be attached. This is

> necessary because the only proper way for now is by using netcf when

> working on a remote machine. Since i doubt ubuntu will have it

> ported and working anytime soon, i was wondering if the feature can

> be backported to the current lucid version of virt-manager.

-> on Ubuntu 10.10 this is definitely possible:
you can specify manually eg 'br0' (my bridge).

virt-manager v 0.8.4, virsh v0.8.3

Regards, Jürgen--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM
"Michael Zoet"

Am Do, 10.03.2011, 13:20 schrieb jurgen.depicker@let.be:

>> Hello list ,
>>
>> I am not sure if this can be done in an easy way, but upstream virt-
>> manager just added the ability to manually specify the network
>> interface to which the virtual machine should be attached. This is
>> necessary because the only proper way for now is by using netcf when
>> working on a remote machine. Since i doubt ubuntu will have it
>> ported and working anytime soon, i was wondering if the feature can
>> be backported to the current lucid version of virt-manager.

I have 2 KVM servers here both running Ubuntu 10.4.2 with KVM and 10 NICs
each. virt-manager gives me the possibility too choose which bridge I can
assign to a VM. I even can assign a complete NIC to a guest. But haven't
tried this yet. I have do try this in 2 weeks for a project. But I tried a
physical hardware assigment for a USB drive and this works nice. So I
assume this will work for PCI-X NICs, too.

> -> on Ubuntu 10.10 this is definitely possible: you can specify manually
> eg 'br0' (my bridge).
> virt-manager v 0.8.4, virsh v0.8.3

I can do this also on my 10.04 KVM servers. But maybe I do not understand
the problem.

Michael

Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Douglas Stanley

True, I believe you can do this on lucid if you run virt-manager locally (i.e. on the lucid server). But, I believe the poster wanted to run virt-manager remotely, like from a desktop.

I'm pretty sure that if your desktop is maverick and you run the maverick virt-manager, then, you can get the desired functionality from the lucid servers.

Doug

Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 PM
"Michael Zoet"

Am Do, 10.03.2011, 13:55 schrieb Douglas Stanley:
> True, I believe you can do this on lucid if you run virt-manager locally
> (i.e. on the lucid server). But, I believe the poster wanted to run
> virt-manager remotely, like from a desktop.

Ah OK! I tunnel my X sessions over SSH and VPNs so I can get the
virt-manager from my server to my Ubuntu desktop. I think this is easier
and more secure...

> I'm pretty sure that if your desktop is maverick and you run the maverick
> virt-manager, then, you can get the desired functionality from the lucid
> servers.

Maybe this is the easiest solution ;-).

Michael