-   -   Main Inclusion Report for Bacula (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/47717-main-inclusion-report-bacula.html)

"Chuck Short" 02-05-2008 12:35 PM

Main Inclusion Report for Bacula

Hello,

For the server package review specification
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerPackageReview) we evaluated the Bacula
backup solution. However,Bacula was rejected due to a feature in
Bacula which exposed clear text passwords through the command line.
This will not be resolved upstream in Debian.

If people have an alternative that they would like to suggest please do so.

Regards
Chuck

Nick Barcet 02-05-2008 12:40 PM

Chuck Short wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For the server package review specification
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerPackageReview) we evaluated the Bacula
> backup solution. However,Bacula was rejected due to a feature in
> Bacula which exposed clear text passwords through the command line.
> This will not be resolved upstream in Debian.
>
> If people have an alternative that they would like to suggest please do so.

Orginally, my proposal was to include Amanda. We switched to Bacula
during UDS as it seemed more feature rich and popular, AFAIR. Shall we
give a shot at it? Do you see something better to do server backup in
the OSS space?

Nick

Etienne Goyer 02-05-2008 05:44 PM

Chuck Short wrote:
> If people have an alternative that they would like to suggest please do so.

We already have BackupPC in main. I do not know how well it fit the
requirements, as it does not backup to tape (backup to disk only), tough.

--
Etienne Goyer 0x3106BCC2

"For Bruce Schneier, SHA-1 is merely a compression algorithm."
http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/164