-   -   Ethernet bridging weirdness (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/427044-ethernet-bridging-weirdness.html)

Douglas Stanley 09-14-2010 07:29 PM

Ethernet bridging weirdness

Hello all,

I'm about at my wit's end, and I really hope some one might be able to
shed some light on this topic for me.

I have two physically identical servers, both running 10.04.1, both
are completely up to date. Both are set up to be kvm hosts. On both
machines, I have an IDENTICAL /etc/network/interfaces, the only
difference being two lines where ip addresses are specified.

The problem is, that both machines need a bridge set up on boot, so
that virtual machines can access it. One machine works 100% fine, the
other, the second bridge never comes up!

My /etc/network/interfaces file can be seen at:
http://gist.github.com/579592

Also, I just did a fresh re-install of 10.04.1, and performed the
updates on the machine that isn't working, thinking that maybe I did
something slightly different during the initial install. But it still
doesn't work.

If I type:
sudo ifup br1
I get: "ifup: interface br1 already configured". But, ifconfig doesn't
list either my eth2 or my br1 devices. Also, brctl show doesn't list
my second bridge. But, if I edit /var/run/network/ifstate and remove
the br1=br1 line, then run "sudo ifup br1", it comes up just fine.
Similarly, if I "sudo ifdown br1;sudo ifup br1" that also works.

Any idea why it isn't coming up automatically on boot, when my other
identical machine does just fine? Or even where I might look to try
and figure it out myself? There are no error messages in any of the
log files that I could find. I'm truly stumped!

Thanks,
Doug

Sebastien Estienne 09-14-2010 07:50 PM

Ethernet bridging weirdness

swap the hard drives, so you ll see if it a software issue or hardware

--
Sebastien E.

"Serge E. Hallyn" 09-14-2010 07:57 PM

Ethernet bridging weirdness

Quoting Douglas Stanley (douglas.m.stanley@gmail.com):
> Hello all,
>
> I'm about at my wit's end, and I really hope some one might be able to
> shed some light on this topic for me.
>
> I have two physically identical servers, both running 10.04.1, both
> are completely up to date. Both are set up to be kvm hosts. On both
> machines, I have an IDENTICAL /etc/network/interfaces, the only
> difference being two lines where ip addresses are specified.
>
> The problem is, that both machines need a bridge set up on boot, so
> that virtual machines can access it. One machine works 100% fine, the
> other, the second bridge never comes up!
>
> My /etc/network/interfaces file can be seen at:
> http://gist.github.com/579592
>
> Also, I just did a fresh re-install of 10.04.1, and performed the
> updates on the machine that isn't working, thinking that maybe I did
> something slightly different during the initial install. But it still
> doesn't work.
>
> If I type:
> sudo ifup br1
> I get: "ifup: interface br1 already configured". But, ifconfig doesn't
> list either my eth2 or my br1 devices. Also, brctl show doesn't list
> my second bridge. But, if I edit /var/run/network/ifstate and remove
> the br1=br1 line, then run "sudo ifup br1", it comes up just fine.
> Similarly, if I "sudo ifdown br1;sudo ifup br1" that also works.

Well br1 is manual, without a specified address. As opposed to br0
which is static with an address. So I wouldn't expect it to show up
with ifconfig. Does it not show up with 'ifconfig -a' or 'brctl show'?
Can you not specify an address for it (either using ifconfig or with
dhclient)?

> Any idea why it isn't coming up automatically on boot, when my other

Because 'manual' means 'unconfigured', different from 'static' which
means manually pre-configured.

Imre Gergely 09-14-2010 08:10 PM

Ethernet bridging weirdness

Take a look at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file, maybe
there's the funkiness (or funkyness?).
Also, where is eth1 ? I'm not saying it matters know it shouldn't matter
but still. Is there a NetworkManager that could mess things up ?

--
Imre Gergely
Yahoo!: gergelyimre | ICQ#: 101510959

Douglas Stanley 09-14-2010 08:31 PM

Ethernet bridging weirdness

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Sebastien Estienne
<sebastien.estienne@gmail.com> wrote:
> swap the hard drives, so you ll see if it a software issue or hardware

Ok, this didn't really work. I realized after I swapped drives, that
the udev persistent net rules would be all wrong. BUT, after swapping
drives, both machines had both a br0 and a br1 bridge, although listed
with no ports attached. But just the fact that the bridge came up fine
when it couldn't find eth2 atleast tells me something. Not sure what
it tells me, but it tells me something.

I also tried swapping out the plugs to the upstream switch, thinking
maybe the two switchports that both machines' eth2 ports were
connected to was causing it, but the both worked the same regardless.

Douglas Stanley 09-14-2010 08:32 PM

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Imre Gergely <gimre@narancs.net> wrote:

> Take a look at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file, maybe there's
> the funkiness (or funkyness?).
> Also, where is eth1 ? I'm not saying it matters know it shouldn't matter but
> still. Is there a NetworkManager that could mess things up ?

Nothing was out of the ordinary with that. It was one of the first
things I looked into when the problems started.

Douglas Stanley 09-14-2010 08:39 PM

Ethernet bridging weirdness

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Serge E. Hallyn
<serge.hallyn@canonical.com> wrote:
> Quoting Douglas Stanley (douglas.m.stanley@gmail.com):
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm about at my wit's end, and I really hope some one might be able to
>> shed some light on this topic for me.
>>
>> I have two physically identical servers, both running 10.04.1, both
>> are completely up to date. Both are set up to be kvm hosts. On both
>> machines, I have an IDENTICAL /etc/network/interfaces, the only
>> difference being two lines where ip addresses are specified.
>>
>> The problem is, that both machines need a bridge set up on boot, so
>> that virtual machines can access it. One machine works 100% fine, the
>> other, the second bridge never comes up!
>>
>> My /etc/network/interfaces file can be seen at:
>> http://gist.github.com/579592
>>
>> Also, I just did a fresh re-install of 10.04.1, and performed the
>> updates on the machine that isn't working, thinking that maybe I did
>> something slightly different during the initial install. But it still
>> doesn't work.
>>
>> If I type:
>> sudo ifup br1
>> I get: "ifup: interface br1 already configured". But, ifconfig doesn't
>> list either my eth2 or my br1 devices. Also, brctl show doesn't list
>> my second bridge. But, if I edit /var/run/network/ifstate and remove
>> the br1=br1 line, then run "sudo ifup br1", it comes up just fine.
>> Similarly, if I "sudo ifdown br1;sudo ifup br1" that also works.
>
> Well br1 is manual, without a specified address. *As opposed to br0
> which is static with an address. *So I wouldn't expect it to show up
> with ifconfig. *Does it not show up with 'ifconfig -a' or 'brctl show'?
> Can you not specify an address for it (either using ifconfig or with
> dhclient)?

True, it is manual, but it's a bridge. I can't seem to find it now,
but that's precisely how it was supposed to be configured, according
to the documentation I was going by (I think it was one of the KVM
oriented guides). And, no, it's not showing up when I do a brctl show
on this one server (it shows up fine on the other *identical* server).

>> Any idea why it isn't coming up automatically on boot, when my other
>
> Because 'manual' means 'unconfigured', different from 'static' which
> means manually pre-configured.

But the other server with identical hardware, and identical config,
and identical interfaces file (except for 2 lines where ip addresses
are specified), works differently. On that box, the bridge shows up
fine using brctl show.

Thanks,
Doug

Scott Phelps 09-14-2010 09:19 PM

On Sep 14, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Douglas Stanley wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Serge E. Hallyn
> <serge.hallyn@canonical.com> wrote:
>> Quoting Douglas Stanley (douglas.m.stanley@gmail.com):
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I'm about at my wit's end, and I really hope some one might be
>>> able to
>>> shed some light on this topic for me.
>>>
>>> I have two physically identical servers, both running 10.04.1, both
>>> are completely up to date. Both are set up to be kvm hosts. On both
>>> machines, I have an IDENTICAL /etc/network/interfaces, the only
>>> difference being two lines where ip addresses are specified.
>>>
>>> The problem is, that both machines need a bridge set up on boot, so
>>> that virtual machines can access it. One machine works 100% fine,
>>> the
>>> other, the second bridge never comes up!
>>>
>>> My /etc/network/interfaces file can be seen at:
>>> http://gist.github.com/579592
>>>
>>> Also, I just did a fresh re-install of 10.04.1, and performed the
>>> updates on the machine that isn't working, thinking that maybe I did
>>> something slightly different during the initial install. But it
>>> still
>>> doesn't work.
>>>
>>> If I type:
>>> sudo ifup br1
>>> I get: "ifup: interface br1 already configured". But, ifconfig
>>> doesn't
>>> list either my eth2 or my br1 devices. Also, brctl show doesn't list
>>> my second bridge. But, if I edit /var/run/network/ifstate and remove
>>> the br1=br1 line, then run "sudo ifup br1", it comes up just fine.
>>> Similarly, if I "sudo ifdown br1;sudo ifup br1" that also works.
>>
>> Well br1 is manual, without a specified address. As opposed to br0
>> which is static with an address. So I wouldn't expect it to show up
>> with ifconfig. Does it not show up with 'ifconfig -a' or 'brctl
>> show'?
>> Can you not specify an address for it (either using ifconfig or with
>> dhclient)?
>>

> True, it is manual, but it's a bridge. I can't seem to find it now,
> but that's precisely how it was supposed to be configured, according
> to the documentation I was going by (I think it was one of the KVM
> oriented guides). And, no, it's not showing up when I do a brctl show
> on this one server (it shows up fine on the other *identical* server).
>
>>> Any idea why it isn't coming up automatically on boot, when my other
>>
>> Because 'manual' means 'unconfigured', different from 'static' which
>> means manually pre-configured.
>>

> But the other server with identical hardware, and identical config,
> and identical interfaces file (except for 2 lines where ip addresses
> are specified), works differently. On that box, the bridge shows up
> fine using brctl show.

Try removing 'bridge_maxwait 0' from the config. The bridge setup
scripts will not wait for the bridge ports to enter a forwarding state
if set to 0 and may be failing as a result.

//Scott

Douglas Stanley 09-14-2010 09:39 PM

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Scott Phelps <phelps.scottie@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Douglas Stanley wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Serge E. Hallyn
>> <serge.hallyn@canonical.com> wrote:
>>> Quoting Douglas Stanley (douglas.m.stanley@gmail.com):

>>> Well br1 is manual, without a specified address. *As opposed to br0
>>> which is static with an address. *So I wouldn't expect it to show up
>>> with ifconfig. *Does it not show up with 'ifconfig -a' or 'brctl
>>> show'?
>>> Can you not specify an address for it (either using ifconfig or with
>>> dhclient)?
>>>

>> True, it is manual, but it's a bridge. I can't seem to find it now,
>> but that's precisely how it was supposed to be configured, according
>> to the documentation I was going by (I think it was one of the KVM
>> oriented guides). And, no, it's not showing up when I do a brctl show
>> on this one server (it shows up fine on the other *identical* server).

>>> Because 'manual' means 'unconfigured', different from 'static' which
>>> means manually pre-configured.
>>>

>> But the other server with identical hardware, and identical config,
>> and identical interfaces file (except for 2 lines where ip addresses
>> are specified), works differently. On that box, the bridge shows up
>> fine using brctl show.
>

> Try removing 'bridge_maxwait 0' from the config. *The bridge setup
> scripts will not wait for the bridge ports to enter a forwarding state
> if set to 0 and may be failing as a result.

Removed the bridge_maxwait 0 line, and still doesn't work.

Also, installed ethtool on both identical machines. On the one where
the bridge starts automatically, ethtool eth2 shows link detected:
yes. On the other machine, it shows no. BUT, if I sudo ifdown br1 &&
sudo ifup br1, then do ethtool eth2 again, it shows link detected:
yes.

I'm baffled, and getting quite frustrated. Anyone know if there's
anything I can do to debug? In syslog, on the machine where it works,
I seen eth2 being mentioned, then br1 being mentioned when it comes
up. On the machine where it's not working, there is no mention of eth2
OR br1.

Thanks,
Doug

Soren Hansen 09-14-2010 10:07 PM

On 14-09-2010 21:29, Douglas Stanley wrote:
> If I type:
> sudo ifup br1
> I get: "ifup: interface br1 already configured". But, ifconfig doesn't
> list either my eth2 or my br1 devices. Also, brctl show doesn't list
> my second bridge. But, if I edit /var/run/network/ifstate and remove
> the br1=br1 line, then run "sudo ifup br1", it comes up just fine.
> Similarly, if I "sudo ifdown br1;sudo ifup br1" that also works.

My guess is that eth2 isn't around at the time br1 has its first config
attempt. Can you try removing the "auto br1" line and add an
"allow-hotplug br1" line instead?

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com/