Old 09-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Douglas Stanley

Default Ethernet bridging weirdness

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:18 AM, jim <jim@well.com> wrote:

> * From the beginning of this thread you have claimed
> that the hardware is identical. No one has challenged
> this claim until now: it's a long shot, I know, but
> given the time you have invested it seems worth while
> to verify that the chip sets of the NICs are identical
> (the lspci command will probably yield sufficient
> detail; I'd be interested in knowing of alternative
> commands).
> * Have you exhausted searching the /proc/ directory
> (e.g. /proc/sys/net/*).
> * Also, Soren's remark re load order might offer a
> clue: I suppose you've investigated the output of the
> dmesg command; I'd be interested in knowing any other
> commands that would yield pertinent information.

Output of lspci is identical, for example:

$ lspci |grep Ethernet
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 01)
01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 01)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 01)
04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 01)

Both machines put out identical output for that command.

Yes, I've investigated the output of dmesg...on the machine where it
doesn't work, eth2 is mentioned at the very beginning, where all the
hardware is found, but not mentioned again anywhere, and neither is
br1. On the machine where it does work, eth2 and br1 are both
mentioned right around where br0 is initialized.

As for /proc, not reall sure what I should be looking for there?

Also, I should mention, that if I change br1 from manual to dhcp, it
seems to come up automatically. I don't want dhcp running on that
though, as it should never have an IP address (it's only to be used by
virtual machines to bridge to the outside).

Thanks,
Doug

Old 09-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Douglas Stanley

Ok, so out of pure frustration, I went and re-installed both machines.
I did them side by side, so I knew I typed exactly the same thing on
both machines. I then ran my setup script post-install to finish
configuring them.

Not sure why, but now both machines behave exactly as I expect. The
only thing I did notice when re-installing them, was that I had
partitioned their disks differently the last time (one was guided lvm,
the other was manually partitioned). I may have also know I set
noatime and possibly nodev on a few of the mounts when I did it
manually, but not sure why that would have caused the problems I
encountered. Honestly, I did the same exact re-install as I just did a
few days ago, the only thing I did differently was I left the manually
partitioned disks last time, and added noatime to the mounts. That is
the only thing I did differently this time.

I'm pretty sure I only set noatime on most of the mounts, but I may
have thrown nodev on like /tmp and /home. Could something like that
have caused the bridges to not come up? Now I kind of wish I saved the
/etc from before when it didn't work so I could do a post-mortem.

Anyway, I apologize for wasting everyone's time, and I'd like to thank
everyone who responded. I appreciate the community behind ubuntu!

Doug