Old 09-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Douglas Stanley

Default Ethernet bridging weirdness

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Soren Hansen <soren@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 14-09-2010 21:29, Douglas Stanley wrote:
>> If I type:
>> sudo ifup br1
>> I get: "ifup: interface br1 already configured". But, ifconfig doesn't
>> list either my eth2 or my br1 devices. Also, brctl show doesn't list
>> my second bridge. But, if I edit /var/run/network/ifstate and remove
>> the br1=br1 line, then run "sudo ifup br1", it comes up just fine.
>> Similarly, if I "sudo ifdown br1;sudo ifup br1" that also works.
>
> My guess is that eth2 isn't around at the time br1 has its first config
> attempt. Can you try removing the "auto br1" line and add an
> "allow-hotplug br1" line instead?

Nope, no luck.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:30 AM
"Serge E. Hallyn"

Quoting Douglas Stanley (douglas.m.stanley@gmail.com):
> True, it is manual, but it's a bridge. I can't seem to find it now,
> but that's precisely how it was supposed to be configured, according
> to the documentation I was going by (I think it was one of the KVM
> oriented guides). And, no, it's not showing up when I do a brctl show
> on this one server (it shows up fine on the other *identical* server).

How does it show up? 'ifconfig -a', 'ifconfig', and 'brctl show' output?

Mind you think I've had this happen to me before, and as someone mentioned
earlier I ended up having to apt-get remove network-manager. Oh, maybe
what I actually did was to add 'ifdown eth0; ifdown br0' or something
like that to /etc/init/network-interface.conf. It was a few months ago,
and I just needed to get it working...

-serge

Old 09-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Soren Hansen

On 15-09-2010 00:15, Douglas Stanley wrote:
>> My guess is that eth2 isn't around at the time br1 has its first config
>> attempt. Can you try removing the "auto br1" line and add an
>> "allow-hotplug br1" line instead?
> Nope, no luck.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure "allow-hotplug br1" should even be
there. Try removing that, too.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Douglas Stanley

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Serge E. Hallyn
<serge.hallyn@canonical.com> wrote:
> Quoting Douglas Stanley (douglas.m.stanley@gmail.com):
>> True, it is manual, but it's a bridge. I can't seem to find it now,
>> but that's precisely how it was supposed to be configured, according
>> to the documentation I was going by (I think it was one of the KVM
>> oriented guides). And, no, it's not showing up when I do a brctl show
>> on this one server (it shows up fine on the other *identical* server).
>
> How does it show up? *'ifconfig -a', 'ifconfig', and 'brctl show' output?

The bridge device doesn't show up using any of those commands (not
even ifconfig -a). The eth2 device does show up if I do ifconfig -a
(as would be expected, as the devices does exist).

I've even tried using eth1 instead of eth2, just to see if it is a
physical problem with the eth2 device, but I get the same result.

> Mind you think I've had this happen to me before, and as someone mentioned
> earlier I ended up having to apt-get remove network-manager. *Oh, maybe
> what I actually did was to add 'ifdown eth0; ifdown br0' or something
> like that to /etc/init/network-interface.conf. *It was a few months ago,
> and I just needed to get it working...

Just to be clear, I installed ubuntu server amd64, so network-manager
isn't installed, and never was. I'd also very much like to avoid doing
something hackish on this one machine just to get it to work. I have 4
machines that are physically identical (4 nodes inside a single
supermicro 2x2 chassis). I'd hate to have to configure one of them
different. It just makes no sense.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Douglas Stanley

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Soren Hansen <soren@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 15-09-2010 00:15, Douglas Stanley wrote:
>>> My guess is that eth2 isn't around at the time br1 has its first config
>>> attempt. Can you try removing the "auto br1" line and add an
>>> "allow-hotplug br1" line instead?
>> Nope, no luck.
>
> Come to think of it, I'm not sure "allow-hotplug br1" should even be
> there. Try removing that, too.

So are you suggesting I have no auto br1 or allow-hotplug br1? How
will it start on boot then?

I also tried changing auto eth2 to allow-hotplug eth2, but still nothing.

This is driving me absolutely batty! I've wasted 3 or 4 days now, when
I have projects pilling up that need to get up and running on this
hardware.

Does anyone know just how I can debug the sittuation?? The devices are
abviously attempting to get configured, as they are getting entries
put in /var/run/network/ifstate, however, they are not actually coming
up!

Thanks,
Doug

Old 09-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Soren Hansen

On 15-09-2010 16:50, Douglas Stanley wrote:
>> Come to think of it, I'm not sure "allow-hotplug br1" should even
>> be there. Try removing that, too.
> So are you suggesting I have no auto br1 or allow-hotplug br1?

Yes.

> How will it start on boot then?

By having eth2 turn up which is one of br1's bridge_ports.

> Does anyone know just how I can debug the sittuation??

Yes, but a mailing list is annoyingly slow for this kind of thing. If
you could hop on #ubuntu-server on IRC, that would be much easier.

> The devices are abviously attempting to get configured, as they are
> getting entries put in /var/run/network/ifstate, however, they are
> not actually coming up!

I suspect the order in which stuff turns up has something to do with it.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Douglas Stanley

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Soren Hansen <soren@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 15-09-2010 16:50, Douglas Stanley wrote:
>>> Come to think of it, I'm not sure "allow-hotplug br1" should even
>>> be there. Try removing that, too.
>> So are you suggesting I have no auto br1 or allow-hotplug br1?
>
> Yes.

Done, still no dice. have auto eth2, but no similar line for br0.

>> How will it start on boot then?
>
> By having eth2 turn up which is one of br1's bridge_ports.

Might be a problem that eth2 also doesn't come up. Well, it gets an
entry in /var/run/network/ifstate, so ifup THINKS it's up, but
ifconfig doesn't show it as being up.

>> Does anyone know just how I can debug the sittuation??
>
> Yes, but a mailing list is annoyingly slow for this kind of thing. If
> you could hop on #ubuntu-server on IRC, that would be much easier.

I am in #ubuntu-server on IRC. No one was responding to my question
there, so that's when I asked on the mailing list

>> The devices are abviously attempting to get configured, as they are
>> getting entries put in /var/run/network/ifstate, however, they are
>> not actually coming up!
>
> I suspect the order in which stuff turns up has something to do with it.

Makes sense, but why would two physically identical servers, both
installed and configured identically, work differently??

Thanks,
Doug

Old 09-15-2010, 03:18 PM
jim

From the beginning of this thread you have claimed
that the hardware is identical. No one has challenged
this claim until now: it's a long shot, I know, but
given the time you have invested it seems worth while
to verify that the chip sets of the NICs are identical
(the lspci command will probably yield sufficient
detail; I'd be interested in knowing of alternative
commands).
Have you exhausted searching the /proc/ directory
(e.g. /proc/sys/net/*).
Also, Soren's remark re load order might offer a
clue: I suppose you've investigated the output of the
dmesg command; I'd be interested in knowing any other
commands that would yield pertinent information.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:19 PM
"Serge E. Hallyn"

Quoting Douglas Stanley (douglas.m.stanley@gmail.com):
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Serge E. Hallyn
> <serge.hallyn@canonical.com> wrote:
> > Quoting Douglas Stanley (douglas.m.stanley@gmail.com):
> >> True, it is manual, but it's a bridge. I can't seem to find it now,
> >> but that's precisely how it was supposed to be configured, according
> >> to the documentation I was going by (I think it was one of the KVM
> >> oriented guides). And, no, it's not showing up when I do a brctl show
> >> on this one server (it shows up fine on the other *identical* server).
> >
> > How does it show up? *'ifconfig -a', 'ifconfig', and 'brctl show' output?
> >
> The bridge device doesn't show up using any of those commands (not

On the machine where it does

Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Douglas Stanley

Another thing I noticed that's different between the two machines as
well. On the machine with the working bridge, rpc.statd gets started
automatically (as I configured it in /etc/default/nfs-common),
however, on the machine that fails to bring up the bridge, that
machine also fails to start rpc.statd automatically (even though it's
configured exactly the same way).

Not sure if they're related or not.

Doug

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Serge E. Hallyn