FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Server Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 AM
carlopmart
 
Default Install Ubuntu LTS 10.04 server on a iscsi root

Hi all,

Somebody have tried to install Ubuntu LTS Server on a iSCSI disk?? I need to
install it on an iSCSI Solaris's target. Where can I found docs about this?? I
didn't find anything on wiki.ubuntu.com or help.ubuntu.com.

Thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Alex Muntada
 
Default Install Ubuntu LTS 10.04 server on a iscsi root

+ carlopmart <carlopmart@gmail.com>:

> *Somebody have tried to install Ubuntu LTS Server on a iSCSI disk??
> I need to install it on an iSCSI Solaris's target. Where can I found
> docs about this?? I didn't find anything on wiki.ubuntu.com or
> help.ubuntu.com.

There's an optional testcase on:
http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Install/ServeriSCSIRoot

Please, read also how to setup KVM with PXE and DHCP
for your iSCSI target.

BTW, i'm running root iSCSI targets on a Sun Storage 7410.

--
Alex Muntada <alexm@alexm.org>
http://alexm.org/

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 09-07-2010, 11:07 AM
carlopmart
 
Default Install Ubuntu LTS 10.04 server on a iscsi root

Alex Muntada wrote:
> + carlopmart <carlopmart@gmail.com>:
>
>> Somebody have tried to install Ubuntu LTS Server on a iSCSI disk??
>> I need to install it on an iSCSI Solaris's target. Where can I found
>> docs about this?? I didn't find anything on wiki.ubuntu.com or
>> help.ubuntu.com.
>
> There's an optional testcase on:
> http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Install/ServeriSCSIRoot
>
> Please, read also how to setup KVM with PXE and DHCP
> for your iSCSI target.
>
> BTW, i'm running root iSCSI targets on a Sun Storage 7410.
>
Uhmm .. I have tried but it doesn't works for me ... Do I need to pass any param to
install program??

Thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 09-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Norbert Tretkowski
 
Default Install Ubuntu LTS 10.04 server on a iscsi root

Am Dienstag, den 07.09.2010, 13:07 +0200 schrieb carlopmart:
> Alex Muntada wrote:
> > There's an optional testcase on:
> > http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Install/ServeriSCSIRoot
>
> Uhmm .. I have tried but it doesn't works for me ... Do I need to pass any param to
> install program??

no, you just need to select "Configure iSCSI volumes" during
installation, as described in the testcase mentioned above.

What exactly didn't work for you? Error message?

Norbert


--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 09-07-2010, 02:16 PM
carlopmart
 
Default Install Ubuntu LTS 10.04 server on a iscsi root

Norbert Tretkowski wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 07.09.2010, 13:07 +0200 schrieb carlopmart:
>> Alex Muntada wrote:
>>> There's an optional testcase on:
>>> http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Install/ServeriSCSIRoot
>> Uhmm .. I have tried but it doesn't works for me ... Do I need to pass any param to
>> install program??
>
> no, you just need to select "Configure iSCSI volumes" during
> installation, as described in the testcase mentioned above.
>
> What exactly didn't work for you? Error message?
>
> Norbert
>
>
Oops .. Sorry I didn't see it. Ok, I can configure an IP for iscsi target, but I
can't configure iscsi initiator. If I can't configure iscsi client name, I can't
login to iscsi target because if is configured with ACLs based on iscsi name. How
can I configure iscsi initiatorname??

Thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Alex Muntada
 
Default Install Ubuntu LTS 10.04 server on a iscsi root

+ carlopmart <carlopmart@gmail.com>:

> Oops .. Sorry I didn't see it. Ok, I can configure an IP for iscsi target, but I
> can't configure iscsi initiator. If I can't configure iscsi client name, I can't
> login to iscsi target because if is configured with ACLs based on iscsi name.
> How can I configure iscsi initiatorname??

Assuming you have a Sun Storage 7000 series iSCSI target, please note
that default ubuntu installation will create a random iSCSI initiator name.
In order to grant access to the iSCSI target during installation, we add it
to the iSCSI target group named "default" (with no ACL).

After the installation is finished, we change the initiator name in several
places (/etc/iscsi/initiatorname.iscsi, /etc/iscsi/iscsi.initramfs), update
initramfs and move the iSCSI target to an initiator group with ACL.

On the other hand, we haven't managed to grant access to iSCSI targets
through username and password yet. So we're using a private network,
our own random initiator names and an initiator group with ACL for each
initiator name.

Hope that helps!

--
Alex Muntada <alexm@alexm.org>
http://alexm.org/

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 09-09-2010, 02:40 PM
carlopmart
 
Default Install Ubuntu LTS 10.04 server on a iscsi root

Alex Muntada wrote:
> + carlopmart <carlopmart@gmail.com>:
>
>> Oops .. Sorry I didn't see it. Ok, I can configure an IP for iscsi target, but I
>> can't configure iscsi initiator. If I can't configure iscsi client name, I can't
>> login to iscsi target because if is configured with ACLs based on iscsi name.
>> How can I configure iscsi initiatorname??
>
> Assuming you have a Sun Storage 7000 series iSCSI target, please note
> that default ubuntu installation will create a random iSCSI initiator name.
> In order to grant access to the iSCSI target during installation, we add it
> to the iSCSI target group named "default" (with no ACL).
>
> After the installation is finished, we change the initiator name in several
> places (/etc/iscsi/initiatorname.iscsi, /etc/iscsi/iscsi.initramfs), update
> initramfs and move the iSCSI target to an initiator group with ACL.
>
> On the other hand, we haven't managed to grant access to iSCSI targets
> through username and password yet. So we're using a private network,
> our own random initiator names and an initiator group with ACL for each
> initiator name.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
Many thanks Alex. I have disabled ACL (and I have enabled after installation) under
iscsi target solaris config and now it works.


--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:25 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org