-   -   Install Ubuntu LTS 10.04 server on a iscsi root (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/423737-install-ubuntu-lts-10-04-server-iscsi-root.html)

carlopmart 09-07-2010 09:26 AM

Install Ubuntu LTS 10.04 server on a iscsi root

Hi all,

Somebody have tried to install Ubuntu LTS Server on a iSCSI disk?? I need to
install it on an iSCSI Solaris's target. Where can I found docs about this?? I
didn't find anything on wiki.ubuntu.com or help.ubuntu.com.

Thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Alex Muntada 09-07-2010 09:41 AM

+ carlopmart <carlopmart@gmail.com>:

> *Somebody have tried to install Ubuntu LTS Server on a iSCSI disk??
> I need to install it on an iSCSI Solaris's target. Where can I found
> docs about this?? I didn't find anything on wiki.ubuntu.com or
> help.ubuntu.com.

There's an optional testcase on:
http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Install/ServeriSCSIRoot

Please, read also how to setup KVM with PXE and DHCP
for your iSCSI target.

BTW, i'm running root iSCSI targets on a Sun Storage 7410.

--
Alex Muntada <alexm@alexm.org>
http://alexm.org/

carlopmart 09-07-2010 11:07 AM

Alex Muntada wrote:
> + carlopmart <carlopmart@gmail.com>:
>
>> Somebody have tried to install Ubuntu LTS Server on a iSCSI disk??
>> I need to install it on an iSCSI Solaris's target. Where can I found
>> docs about this?? I didn't find anything on wiki.ubuntu.com or
>> help.ubuntu.com.
>
> There's an optional testcase on:
> http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Install/ServeriSCSIRoot
>
> Please, read also how to setup KVM with PXE and DHCP
> for your iSCSI target.
>
> BTW, i'm running root iSCSI targets on a Sun Storage 7410.

Uhmm .. I have tried but it doesn't works for me ... Do I need to pass any param to
install program??

Thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Norbert Tretkowski 09-07-2010 12:04 PM

Am Dienstag, den 07.09.2010, 13:07 +0200 schrieb carlopmart:
> Alex Muntada wrote:
> > There's an optional testcase on:
> > http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Install/ServeriSCSIRoot
>
> Uhmm .. I have tried but it doesn't works for me ... Do I need to pass any param to
> install program??

no, you just need to select "Configure iSCSI volumes" during
installation, as described in the testcase mentioned above.

What exactly didn't work for you? Error message?

Norbert

carlopmart 09-07-2010 02:16 PM

Norbert Tretkowski wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 07.09.2010, 13:07 +0200 schrieb carlopmart:
>> Alex Muntada wrote:
>>> There's an optional testcase on:
>>> http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Install/ServeriSCSIRoot
>> Uhmm .. I have tried but it doesn't works for me ... Do I need to pass any param to
>> install program??
>
> no, you just need to select "Configure iSCSI volumes" during
> installation, as described in the testcase mentioned above.
>
> What exactly didn't work for you? Error message?
>
> Norbert

Oops .. Sorry I didn't see it. Ok, I can configure an IP for iscsi target, but I
can't configure iscsi initiator. If I can't configure iscsi client name, I can't
login to iscsi target because if is configured with ACLs based on iscsi name. How
can I configure iscsi initiatorname??

Thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Alex Muntada 09-08-2010 08:54 AM

Install Ubuntu LTS 10.04 server on a iscsi root

+ carlopmart <carlopmart@gmail.com>:

> Oops .. Sorry I didn't see it. Ok, I can configure an IP for iscsi target, but I
> can't configure iscsi initiator. If I can't configure iscsi client name, I can't
> login to iscsi target because if is configured with ACLs based on iscsi name.
> How can I configure iscsi initiatorname??

Assuming you have a Sun Storage 7000 series iSCSI target, please note
that default ubuntu installation will create a random iSCSI initiator name.
In order to grant access to the iSCSI target during installation, we add it
to the iSCSI target group named "default" (with no ACL).

After the installation is finished, we change the initiator name in several
places (/etc/iscsi/initiatorname.iscsi, /etc/iscsi/iscsi.initramfs), update
initramfs and move the iSCSI target to an initiator group with ACL.

On the other hand, we haven't managed to grant access to iSCSI targets
through username and password yet. So we're using a private network,
our own random initiator names and an initiator group with ACL for each
initiator name.

Hope that helps!

carlopmart 09-09-2010 02:40 PM

Alex Muntada wrote:
> + carlopmart <carlopmart@gmail.com>:
>
>> Oops .. Sorry I didn't see it. Ok, I can configure an IP for iscsi target, but I
>> can't configure iscsi initiator. If I can't configure iscsi client name, I can't
>> login to iscsi target because if is configured with ACLs based on iscsi name.
>> How can I configure iscsi initiatorname??
>
> Assuming you have a Sun Storage 7000 series iSCSI target, please note
> that default ubuntu installation will create a random iSCSI initiator name.
> In order to grant access to the iSCSI target during installation, we add it
> to the iSCSI target group named "default" (with no ACL).
>
> After the installation is finished, we change the initiator name in several
> places (/etc/iscsi/initiatorname.iscsi, /etc/iscsi/iscsi.initramfs), update
> initramfs and move the iSCSI target to an initiator group with ACL.
>
> On the other hand, we haven't managed to grant access to iSCSI targets
> through username and password yet. So we're using a private network,
> our own random initiator names and an initiator group with ACL for each
> initiator name.
>
> Hope that helps!

Many thanks Alex. I have disabled ACL (and I have enabled after installation) under
iscsi target solaris config and now it works.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com