Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 PM
"Nikolai K. Bochev"

Default landscape-common

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, so i'll just ask and duck.Since one of the last updates of landscape there was a change that disallowed displaying of motd stats if the loadavg is above 1.I could understand this for a desktop, but since the motd is displayed only on servers it makes no sense. I can hardly see people running servers ( even home use ) on single-core cpus.For example if i have 16 cores, it would make sense to disable it when i have loadavg > 16 ?*Any other thoughts on that ?
--

Nikolai K. Bochev
System Administrator

Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Dustin Kirkland

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Nikolai K. Bochev
<n.bochev@grandstarco.com> wrote:
> Not sure if this is the right place to ask, so i'll just ask and duck.
> Since one of the last updates of landscape there was a change that
> disallowed displaying of motd stats if the loadavg is above 1.
> I could understand this for a desktop, but since the motd is displayed only
> on servers it makes no sense. I can hardly see people running servers ( even
> home use ) on single-core cpus.
> For example if i have 16 cores, it would make sense to disable it when i
> have loadavg > 16 ?
> Any other thoughts on that ?

I noticed the same thing, and yes, I agree that that test should scale
linearly with the number of CPUs in the system. ie, the just need to
normalize the load divided by the number of cores.

I suggest that you file a bug against the package. This is might even
be a papercuts candidate.

:-Dusitn

Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 PM
"Nikolai K. Bochev"

Filed a bug report, we will see how it goes.

--

Nikolai K. Bochev
System Administrator