-   -   Change SATA mode to AHCI on installed server (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/421308-change-sata-mode-ahci-installed-server.html)

Jorge Andres Brugger 09-01-2010 12:12 PM

Change SATA mode to AHCI on installed server

I want to change SATA mode on a server already installed. Should I take
care of something before make the change at the BIOS setup?

Thanks.

Ahmed Kamal 09-01-2010 01:30 PM

On 09/01/2010 02:12 PM, Jorge Andres Brugger wrote:
> I want to change SATA mode on a server already installed. Should I take
> care of something before make the change at the BIOS setup?
>
> Thanks.

The only thing I'd check is that /etc/fstab mounts using UUIDs and not
/dev/sd? names. Other than that, just try it, if it doesn't boot, revert
the BIOS setting and mention there's a problem

Jorge Andres Brugger 09-02-2010 01:37 PM

El 01/09/2010 10:30 a.m., Ahmed Kamal escribió:
> On 09/01/2010 02:12 PM, Jorge Andres Brugger wrote:
>> I want to change SATA mode on a server already installed. Should I take
>> care of something before make the change at the BIOS setup?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> The only thing I'd check is that /etc/fstab mounts using UUIDs and not
> /dev/sd? names. Other than that, just try it, if it doesn't boot, revert
> the BIOS setting and mention there's a problem

Thanks Ahmed. When I checked the BIOS, it was already in AHCI mode. I
thought it wasn't set because a samba performance issue, but it goes
away after reboot ... I hope this issue has gone definitely.

Regards

Jorge Armando Medina 09-02-2010 07:27 PM

On 09/01/2010 08:30 AM, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> On 09/01/2010 02:12 PM, Jorge Andres Brugger wrote:
>> I want to change SATA mode on a server already installed. Should I take
>> care of something before make the change at the BIOS setup?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> The only thing I'd check is that /etc/fstab mounts using UUIDs and not
> /dev/sd? names. Other than that, just try it, if it doesn't boot, revert
> the BIOS setting and mention there's a problem

And of course the root parameter to the kernel image in grub.

What I dont know is that the UUID will change when you change the sata
mode, you can check it out with blkid(8).

Another way is using the by-id or by-path format, check /dev/disk/by-*

Kenyon Ralph 09-03-2010 05:16 AM

On 2010-09-02T14:27:29-0500, Jorge Armando Medina <jmedina@e-compugraf.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/2010 08:30 AM, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> > On 09/01/2010 02:12 PM, Jorge Andres Brugger wrote:
> >> I want to change SATA mode on a server already installed. Should I take
> >> care of something before make the change at the BIOS setup?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> > The only thing I'd check is that /etc/fstab mounts using UUIDs and not
> > /dev/sd? names. Other than that, just try it, if it doesn't boot, revert
> > the BIOS setting and mention there's a problem
> >

> And of course the root parameter to the kernel image in grub.
>
> What I dont know is that the UUID will change when you change the sata
> mode, you can check it out with blkid(8).
>
> Another way is using the by-id or by-path format, check /dev/disk/by-*

The UUID is part of the file system, so won't change with the disk
interface change. Use dumpe2fs or tune2fs -l to see the UUID on
ext[234]fs, or xfs_admin -u on xfs.

--
Kenyon Ralph