Old 08-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Kaushal Shriyan

Default apache2 two instances

Hi

Can someone please guide me to setup two instances of apache2 along
with start/stop init.d script for both the instances.

Thanks

Kaushal

Old 08-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:41:09 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can someone please guide me to setup two instances of apache2 along with
> start/stop init.d script for both the instances.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kaushal

Why should you need two instances of Apache? You can run two (or more)
websites with one instance of Apache on one server. Look for virtual
server.

Aart

Old 08-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Kaushal Shriyan

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 8:17 PM, Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:41:09 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Can someone please guide me to setup two instances of apache2 along with
>> start/stop init.d script for both the instances.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kaushal
>
> Why should you need two instances of Apache? You can run two (or more)
> websites with one instance of Apache on one server. Look for virtual
> server.
>
> Aart

Hi Aart

What are the implications to have multiple instances of apache2 ?

Trying to understand

Please suggest further

Thanks

Kaushal

Old 08-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 23:08:21 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 8:17 PM, Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:41:09 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Can someone please guide me to setup two instances of apache2 along
>>> with start/stop init.d script for both the instances.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Kaushal
>>
>> Why should you need two instances of Apache? You can run two (or more)
>> websites with one instance of Apache on one server. Look for virtual
>> server.
>>
>> Aart
>
> Hi Aart
>
> What are the implications to have multiple instances of apache2 ?
>
> Trying to understand
>
> Please suggest further

I don't even know if it is possible to run multuple instances of Apache2
on one box. If it is possible I expect it will use more resources then
running one Apache2 with multiple virtual webservers. As far as I know it
is the way Apache2 is designed to run, so there will be more experience
running it this way and it will be better tested. Less change to
experience problems no one has solutions for.

Aart

Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 20 August 2010 18:38, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Can someone please guide me to setup two instances of apache2 along with
>>> start/stop init.d script for both the instances.
> What are the implications to have multiple instances of apache2 ?
Please explain what you are trying to achieve.
This sounds like someone's homework or project work.

it is doable, it's not worth the hassle with the Ubuntu defaults. Much
easier to roll your own versions with separate prefixes but even then
it's not worth the hassle in most cases. We do it with our customers
to completely isolate Apache instances from each other on CentOS &
RHEL but we don't depend on a lot of external libraries. We trim the
compilation to a few options we require and it turns out to be very
tight, secure and small. OTOH, we miss out on the automated updates so
there's a bad side of it.

If you run multiple Apache instances, they must listen on different
ports (i.e., standard 80 and something else). This is usually more
easy to manage with virtual servers.

The only reason you should have separate Apache instances is when you
have conflicting libraries/modules and applications loaded. Again,
separate applications should be separated by virtual hosts.

You can run multiple instances by having separate config directories
and running the daemon with additional parameters. You can take a copy
of /etc/init.d/apache2 and add necessary modifications.

Check apache2's man page. You will be interested with the -f
parameters to supply a separate Apache config. Default config is in
/etc/apache2/apache2.conf. Don't forget to change log directories,
Server root, Listening port.

Then you need to register the new init file and test.

As I said, you can always compile your own Apache to a completely new
area but that will not pick up any updates and compiling/obtaining
prerequisites can be a bummer (the combination of Apache 2.2, PHP5 and
AIX's XLC are a nightmare - count yourself lucky - I've been there,
still having the nightmares).

Old 08-21-2010, 03:05 AM
Kaushal Shriyan

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 1:46 AM, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
>> What are the implications to have multiple instances of apache2 ?
> Please explain what you are trying to achieve.
> This sounds like someone's homework or project work.
>
> it is doable, it's not worth the hassle with the Ubuntu defaults. Much
> easier to roll your own versions with separate prefixes but even then
> it's not worth the hassle in most cases. We do it with our customers
> to completely isolate *Apache instances from each other on CentOS &
> RHEL but we don't depend on a lot of external libraries. We trim the
> compilation to a few options we require and it turns out to be very
> tight, secure and small. OTOH, we miss out on the automated updates so
> there's a bad side of it.
>
> If you run multiple Apache instances, they must listen on different
> ports (i.e., standard 80 and something else). This is usually more
> easy to manage with virtual servers.
>
> The only reason you should have separate Apache instances is when you
> have conflicting libraries/modules and applications loaded. Again,
> separate applications should be separated by virtual hosts.
>
> You can run multiple instances by having separate config directories
> and running the daemon with additional parameters. You can take a copy
> of /etc/init.d/apache2 and add necessary modifications.
>
> Check apache2's man page. You will be interested with the -f
> parameters to supply a separate Apache config. Default config is in
> /etc/apache2/apache2.conf. Don't forget to change log directories,
> Server root, Listening port.
>
> Then you need to register the new init file and test.
>
> As I said, you can always compile your own Apache to a completely new
> area but that will not pick up any updates and compiling/obtaining
> prerequisites can be a bummer (the combination of Apache 2.2, PHP5 and
> AIX's XLC are a nightmare - count yourself lucky - I've been there,
> still having the nightmares).
> --
> Hakan (m1fcj) - http://www.hititgunesi.org

Thanks Hakan for a detailed explanation and have completely understood
now about the implications

Kaushal