-   -   Ubuntu server and cloud IRC consolidation (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/410466-ubuntu-server-cloud-irc-consolidation.html)

Ahmed Kamal 08-09-2010 02:59 PM

Ubuntu server and cloud IRC consolidation

Hi folks,

I've been thinking about ways to grow the Ubuntu server and cloud
communities. As it stands, I think there is a bit of fragmentation in
the server and cloud related IRC channels. Since active and
knowledgeable IRC community members are a valuable resource, I think it
is beneficial to consolidate channels. Here's what I think could help

I suggest that #Ubuntu-virt be closed, and all traffic and new joines
force-redirected to #ubuntu-server.

Similarly, that #Ubuntu-ec2 and #Ubuntu-ensemble be closed and all
traffic and new joins force-redirected to #ubuntu-cloud.

Thus:

1) Development discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel
* e.g. packaging, patching, debugging, development, etc.

2) Traditional server discussion happens in #ubuntu-server
* e.g. running Ubuntu on your server hardware or in a virtual
machine, getting it installed, configuration/management of services,
virtualization, etc.

3) New-age cloud server discussion happens in #ubuntu-cloud
* e.g. running UEC private clouds, running Ubuntu in EC2, cloud
work loads, ensemble cloud magic, etc.

When someone /join #ubuntu-ec2, they're plopped right into #ubuntu-cloud
(and the same for the other consolidated channels).

Would love to hear your feedback

Kind Regards

Khairul Aizat Kamarudzzaman 08-09-2010 03:37 PM

Ubuntu server and cloud IRC consolidation

agreed with the ideas ... +1 from me

Regards,

Khairul Aizat Kamarudzzaman
http://launchpad.net/~fenris
fenris@ubuntu.com
+6012.659.5675

Clint Byrum 08-09-2010 04:52 PM

On Aug 9, 2010, at 7:59 AM, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> I suggest that #Ubuntu-virt be closed, and all traffic and new joines
> force-redirected to #ubuntu-server.
>
> Similarly, that #Ubuntu-ec2 and #Ubuntu-ensemble be closed and all
> traffic and new joins force-redirected to #ubuntu-cloud.

Agreed with all except #ubuntu-ensemble.

I think its still a bit early in its development to consolidate into a channel that is focused on the support and discussion of the mature Ubuntu platform.

#ubuntu-server can get a little bit heavy now, but I think there is probably some duplication of focus, especially with #ubuntu-ec2. Note that I personally haven't ever been in to #ubuntu-ec2 or #ubuntu-virt.

Dustin Kirkland 08-09-2010 07:10 PM

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Ahmed Kamal <ahmed.kamal@canonical.com> wrote:
> I've been thinking about ways to grow the Ubuntu server and cloud
> communities. As it stands, I think there is a bit of fragmentation in
> the server and cloud related IRC channels. Since active and
> knowledgeable IRC community members are a valuable resource, I think it
> is beneficial to consolidate channels. Here's what I think could help
>
> I suggest that #Ubuntu-virt be closed, and all traffic and new joines
> force-redirected to #ubuntu-server.
>
> Similarly, that #Ubuntu-ec2 and #Ubuntu-ensemble be closed and all
> traffic and new joins force-redirected to #ubuntu-cloud.
>
> Thus:
>
> *1) Development discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel
> * * * e.g. packaging, patching, debugging, development, etc.
>
> *2) Traditional server discussion happens in #ubuntu-server
> * * * e.g. running Ubuntu on your server hardware or in a virtual
> machine, getting it installed, configuration/management of services,
> virtualization, etc.
>
> *3) New-age cloud server discussion happens in #ubuntu-cloud
> * * * e.g. running UEC private clouds, running Ubuntu in EC2, cloud
> work loads, ensemble cloud magic, etc.
>
> When someone /join #ubuntu-ec2, they're plopped right into #ubuntu-cloud
> (and the same for the other consolidated channels).
>
> Would love to hear your feedback

Complete +1 from me on this proposal.

I think the 3-way split makes perfect sense (devel, traditional
servers, cloud) to me. It greatly simplifies our communication, and
reduces the excessive separation of discussion.

How soon can we make this happen? :-)

:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland 08-09-2010 07:14 PM

Clint Byrum <clint@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2010, at 7:59 AM, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
>> I suggest that #Ubuntu-virt be closed, and all traffic and new joines
>> force-redirected to #ubuntu-server.
>>
>> Similarly, that #Ubuntu-ec2 and #Ubuntu-ensemble be closed and all
>> traffic and new joins force-redirected to #ubuntu-cloud.
>>

> Agreed with all except #ubuntu-ensemble.
>
> I think its still a bit early in its development to consolidate into a channel that is focused on the support and discussion of the mature Ubuntu platform.

I disagree.

I think the Ubuntu Ensemble project would greatly benefit from
exposure and discussion within #ubuntu-cloud. Having lingered in
#ubuntu-ensemble for a few months now, I think most discussions in
there that would benefit the greater Ubuntu cloud/virt/ec2 community.

:-Dustin

Clint Byrum 08-09-2010 07:35 PM

On Aug 9, 2010, at 12:14 PM, Dustin Kirkland wrote:

> Clint Byrum <clint@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 9, 2010, at 7:59 AM, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
>>> I suggest that #Ubuntu-virt be closed, and all traffic and new joines
>>> force-redirected to #ubuntu-server.
>>>
>>> Similarly, that #Ubuntu-ec2 and #Ubuntu-ensemble be closed and all
>>> traffic and new joins force-redirected to #ubuntu-cloud.
>>>

>> Agreed with all except #ubuntu-ensemble.
>>
>> I think its still a bit early in its development to consolidate into a channel that is focused on the support and discussion of the mature Ubuntu platform.
>
> I disagree.
>
> I think the Ubuntu Ensemble project would greatly benefit from
> exposure and discussion within #ubuntu-cloud. Having lingered in
> #ubuntu-ensemble for a few months now, I think most discussions in
> there that would benefit the greater Ubuntu cloud/virt/ec2 community.

Strike that, reverse it, I read the original message before I had my coffee. Oops!

Did not realize the suggestion was to move ensemble+ec2+virt -> cloud ..

Sounds great as originally written.

Gustavo Niemeyer 08-09-2010 07:49 PM

Ubuntu server and cloud IRC consolidation

> Strike that, reverse it, I read the original message before I had my coffee. Oops!
>
> Did not realize the suggestion was to move ensemble+ec2+virt -> cloud ..
>
> Sounds great as originally written.

Indeed, we're a single community, so it makes sense to be together
while the traffic does not justify separating the forums. I'll
organize the merger tomorrow.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net

Mathias Gug 08-09-2010 07:49 PM

Ubuntu server and cloud IRC consolidation

Hi,

Excerpts from Dustin Kirkland's message of Mon Aug 09 15:10:44 -0400 2010:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Ahmed Kamal <ahmed.kamal@canonical.com> wrote:
> >
> > I suggest that #Ubuntu-virt be closed, and all traffic and new joines
> > force-redirected to #ubuntu-server.
> >
> > Similarly, that #Ubuntu-ec2 and #Ubuntu-ensemble be closed and all
> > traffic and new joins force-redirected to #ubuntu-cloud.
> >
> > Thus:
> >
> > *1) Development discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel
> > * * * e.g. packaging, patching, debugging, development, etc.
> >
> > *2) Traditional server discussion happens in #ubuntu-server
> > * * * e.g. running Ubuntu on your server hardware or in a virtual
> > machine, getting it installed, configuration/management of services,
> > virtualization, etc.
> >
> > *3) New-age cloud server discussion happens in #ubuntu-cloud
> > * * * e.g. running UEC private clouds, running Ubuntu in EC2, cloud
> > work loads, ensemble cloud magic, etc.
> >

> Complete +1 from me on this proposal.

+1 from me on this as well.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Ahmed Kamal 08-11-2010 02:34 PM

On 08/09/2010 05:59 PM, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been thinking about ways to grow the Ubuntu server and cloud
> communities. As it stands, I think there is a bit of fragmentation in
> the server and cloud related IRC channels. Since active and
> knowledgeable IRC community members are a valuable resource, I think it
> is beneficial to consolidate channels. Here's what I think could help
>
> I suggest that #Ubuntu-virt be closed, and all traffic and new joines
> force-redirected to #ubuntu-server.
>
> Similarly, that #Ubuntu-ec2 and #Ubuntu-ensemble be closed and all
> traffic and new joins force-redirected to #ubuntu-cloud.
>
> Thus:
>
> 1) Development discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel
> * e.g. packaging, patching, debugging, development, etc.
>
> 2) Traditional server discussion happens in #ubuntu-server
> * e.g. running Ubuntu on your server hardware or in a virtual
> machine, getting it installed, configuration/management of services,
> virtualization, etc.
>
> 3) New-age cloud server discussion happens in #ubuntu-cloud
> * e.g. running UEC private clouds, running Ubuntu in EC2, cloud
> work loads, ensemble cloud magic, etc.
>
> When someone /join #ubuntu-ec2, they're plopped right into #ubuntu-cloud
> (and the same for the other consolidated channels).
>
> Would love to hear your feedback
>
> Kind Regards

All suggested changes have been applied. I've changed topic on
#ubuntu-cloud to remove the redirection to #ubuntu-server
Regards

Gustavo Niemeyer 08-11-2010 02:43 PM

Ubuntu server and cloud IRC consolidation

> All suggested changes have been applied. I've changed topic on
> #ubuntu-cloud to remove the redirection to #ubuntu-server
> Regards

Thanks Ahmed.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer