Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Dan Sheffner

Default Ubuntu server and cloud IRC consolidation

I guess the only question I have is where do I ask questions about the KVM hypervisor, virsh, and vmbuilder commands? #ubuntu-server or #ubuntu-cloud?* it would nice to have one room like #ubuntu-vm* for virtual machines that would include xen, kvm, virsh, virtualbox, eucalyptus, etc.

Thanks,

Dan

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Gustavo Niemeyer <gustavo@niemeyer.net> wrote:

> All suggested changes have been applied. I've changed topic on

> #ubuntu-cloud to remove the redirection to #ubuntu-server

> Regards

Thanks Ahmed.

--

Gustavo Niemeyer

http://niemeyer.net

http://niemeyer.net/blog

http://niemeyer.net/twitter

Old 08-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Mathias Gug

Hi,

Excerpts from Dan Sheffner's message of Wed Aug 11 11:14:04 -0400 2010:
> I guess the only question I have is where do I ask questions about the KVM
> hypervisor, virsh, and vmbuilder commands? #ubuntu-server or #ubuntu-cloud?
> it would nice to have one room like #ubuntu-vm for virtual machines that
> would include xen, kvm, virsh, virtualbox, eucalyptus, etc.

As outlined in the proposal:

1) Development discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel
* e.g. packaging, patching, debugging, development, etc.

2) Traditional server discussion happens in #ubuntu-server
* e.g. running Ubuntu on your server hardware or in a * virtual
machine, getting it installed, configuration/management of
services, virtualization, etc.

3) New-age cloud server discussion happens in #ubuntu-cloud
* e.g. running UEC private clouds, running Ubuntu * in EC2, cloud
work loads, ensemble cloud magic, etc.

#ubuntu-server seems the appropriate place to ask questions about KVM,
virsh and vmbuilder.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 08-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:28:28 am Mathias Gug wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Excerpts from Dan Sheffner's message of Wed Aug 11 11:14:04 -0400 2010:
> > I guess the only question I have is where do I ask questions about the
> > KVM hypervisor, virsh, and vmbuilder commands? #ubuntu-server or
> > #ubuntu-cloud? it would nice to have one room like #ubuntu-vm for
> > virtual machines that would include xen, kvm, virsh, virtualbox,
> > eucalyptus, etc.
>
> As outlined in the proposal:
>
> 1) Development discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel
> * e.g. packaging, patching, debugging, development, etc.
>
> 2) Traditional server discussion happens in #ubuntu-server
> * e.g. running Ubuntu on your server hardware or in a * virtual
> machine, getting it installed, configuration/management of
> services, virtualization, etc.
>
> 3) New-age cloud server discussion happens in #ubuntu-cloud
> * e.g. running UEC private clouds, running Ubuntu * in EC2, cloud
> work loads, ensemble cloud magic, etc.
>
> #ubuntu-server seems the appropriate place to ask questions about KVM,
> virsh and vmbuilder.

I missed in the original proposal that development is now off topic in #ubuntu-
server. I object to this change. #ubuntu-server has been a joint
developer/user channel for a very long time now. It's the one place in the
Ubuntu project where users and developers are on the same channels (yes, some
developers are on user channels, to help, but that's different). We discussed
this very change not very long ago and the consensus was not to change it.

I feel like this change was slipped in with other changes about IRC channel
consolidation and should have been (re) discussed separately (although
honestly I don't see the need to revisit the discussion so soon).

Scott K

Old 08-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Clint Byrum

On Aug 11, 2010, at 8:35 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> I missed in the original proposal that development is now off topic in #ubuntu-
> server. I object to this change. #ubuntu-server has been a joint
> developer/user channel for a very long time now. It's the one place in the
> Ubuntu project where users and developers are on the same channels (yes, some
> developers are on user channels, to help, but that's different). We discussed
> this very change not very long ago and the consensus was not to change it.
>
> I feel like this change was slipped in with other changes about IRC channel
> consolidation and should have been (re) discussed separately (although
> honestly I don't see the need to revisit the discussion so soon).

I agree with Scott. It should still be on-topic in #ubuntu-server to talk about
ubuntu server specific development.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Dustin Kirkland

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:28:28 am Mathias Gug wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Excerpts from Dan Sheffner's message of Wed Aug 11 11:14:04 -0400 2010:
>> > I guess the only question I have is where do I ask questions about the
>> > KVM hypervisor, virsh, and vmbuilder commands? #ubuntu-server or
>> > #ubuntu-cloud? it would nice to have one room like #ubuntu-vm *for
>> > virtual machines that would include xen, kvm, virsh, virtualbox,
>> > eucalyptus, etc.
>>
>> As outlined in the proposal:
>>
>> * 1) Development discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel
>> * * ** e.g. packaging, patching, debugging, development, etc.
>>
>> * 2) Traditional server discussion happens in #ubuntu-server
>> * * ** e.g. running Ubuntu on your server hardware or in a * virtual
>> * * * *machine, getting it installed, configuration/management of
>> * * * *services, virtualization, etc.
>>
>> * 3) New-age cloud server discussion happens in #ubuntu-cloud
>> * * ** e.g. running UEC private clouds, running Ubuntu * in EC2, cloud
>> * * * *work loads, ensemble cloud magic, etc.
>>
>> #ubuntu-server seems the appropriate place to ask questions about KVM,
>> virsh and vmbuilder.
>
> I missed in the original proposal that development is now off topic in #ubuntu-
> server. *I object to this change. *#ubuntu-server has been a joint
> developer/user channel for a very long time now. *It's the one place in the
> Ubuntu project where users and developers are on the same channels (yes, some
> developers are on user channels, to help, but that's different). *We discussed
> this very change not very long ago and the consensus was not to change it.
>
> I feel like this change was slipped in with other changes about IRC channel
> consolidation and should have been (re) discussed separately (although
> honestly I don't see the need to revisit the discussion so soon).

Scott,

I don't think anything really changes in #ubuntu-server, from a
development discussion perspective. There's plenty of
development-related conversations that will continue in
#ubuntu-server, perfectly on-topic. No one is getting kicked/banned
from there, and no one should get slapped on the wrist for talking
devel (in my opinion).

I read Ahmed's proposition to really be about consolidating
cloud/virt/ensemble/ec2 channels into one -- simplifying the landscape
for those of us subscribed to all 4 and unraveling the maze for our
users seeking cloud-related support.

The previous recent discussion you refer to, I think, was about
splitting #ubuntu-server and #ubuntu-server-devel. As I remember it,
we, as a community, n'acked the creation/separation to
#ubuntu-server-devel, as we didn't want to divorce ourselves from our
user support channel. I still agree with that sentiment, and I think
that's unchanged even in Ahmed's IRC realignment suggestion.

Cheers,
:-Dustin

Old 08-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 04:21:36 pm Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:28:28 am Mathias Gug wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Excerpts from Dan Sheffner's message of Wed Aug 11 11:14:04 -0400 2010:
> >>
> >> As outlined in the proposal:
> >>
> >> 1) Development discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel
> >> * e.g. packaging, patching, debugging, development, etc.
> >>
> >> 2) Traditional server discussion happens in #ubuntu-server
> >> * e.g. running Ubuntu on your server hardware or in a * virtual
> >> machine, getting it installed, configuration/management of
> >> services, virtualization, etc.
> >>
> >> 3) New-age cloud server discussion happens in #ubuntu-cloud
> >> * e.g. running UEC private clouds, running Ubuntu * in EC2, cloud
> >> work loads, ensemble cloud magic, etc.
> >>
> >> #ubuntu-server seems the appropriate place to ask questions about KVM,
> >> virsh and vmbuilder.
> >
> > I missed in the original proposal that development is now off topic in
> > #ubuntu- server. I object to this change. #ubuntu-server has been a
> > joint developer/user channel for a very long time now. It's the one
> > place in the Ubuntu project where users and developers are on the same
> > channels (yes, some developers are on user channels, to help, but that's
> > different). We discussed this very change not very long ago and the
> > consensus was not to change it.
> >
> > I feel like this change was slipped in with other changes about IRC
> > channel consolidation and should have been (re) discussed separately
> > (although honestly I don't see the need to revisit the discussion so
> > soon).
>
> Scott,
>
> I don't think anything really changes in #ubuntu-server, from a
> development discussion perspective. There's plenty of
> development-related conversations that will continue in
> #ubuntu-server, perfectly on-topic. No one is getting kicked/banned
> from there, and no one should get slapped on the wrist for talking
> devel (in my opinion).
>
> I read Ahmed's proposition to really be about consolidating
> cloud/virt/ensemble/ec2 channels into one -- simplifying the landscape
> for those of us subscribed to all 4 and unraveling the maze for our
> users seeking cloud-related support.
>
> The previous recent discussion you refer to, I think, was about
> splitting #ubuntu-server and #ubuntu-server-devel. As I remember it,
> we, as a community, n'acked the creation/separation to
> #ubuntu-server-devel, as we didn't want to divorce ourselves from our
> user support channel. I still agree with that sentiment, and I think
> that's unchanged even in Ahmed's IRC realignment suggestion.

Then I'm a little unclear what Mathiaz' point #1 is about then. "Development
discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel" seems pretty clear to me.

Scott K

Old 08-12-2010, 03:02 AM
Dustin Kirkland

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 04:21:36 pm Dustin Kirkland wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>
> wrote:

>> > I missed in the original proposal that development is now off topic in
>> > #ubuntu- server. *I object to this change. *#ubuntu-server has been a
>> > joint developer/user channel for a very long time now. *It's the one
>> > place in the Ubuntu project where users and developers are on the same
>> > channels (yes, some developers are on user channels, to help, but that's
>> > different). *We discussed this very change not very long ago and the
>> > consensus was not to change it.
>> >
>> > I feel like this change was slipped in with other changes about IRC
>> > channel consolidation and should have been (re) discussed separately
>> > (although honestly I don't see the need to revisit the discussion so
>> > soon).
>>
>> Scott,
>>
>> I don't think anything really changes in #ubuntu-server, from a
>> development discussion perspective. *There's plenty of
>> development-related conversations that will continue in
>> #ubuntu-server, perfectly on-topic. *No one is getting kicked/banned
>> from there, and no one should get slapped on the wrist for talking
>> devel (in my opinion).
>>
>> I read Ahmed's proposition to really be about consolidating
>> cloud/virt/ensemble/ec2 channels into one -- simplifying the landscape
>> for those of us subscribed to all 4 and unraveling the maze for our
>> users seeking cloud-related support.
>>
>> The previous recent discussion you refer to, I think, was about
>> splitting #ubuntu-server and #ubuntu-server-devel. *As I remember it,
>> we, as a community, n'acked the creation/separation to
>> #ubuntu-server-devel, as we didn't want to divorce ourselves from our
>> user support channel. *I still agree with that sentiment, and I think
>> that's unchanged even in Ahmed's IRC realignment suggestion.
>
> Then I'm a little unclear what Mathiaz' point #1 is about then. *"Development
> discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel" seems pretty clear to me.

I think it's pretty clear, and 100% true. Development discussion
does, in fact, happen in #ubuntu-devel.

I haven't seen anything forbidding development discussion happening in
#ubuntu-server.

Have you gotten that impression? Does the above policy deserve some
clarification? Perhaps that "general" Ubuntu development discussion
should land in #ubuntu-devel, while Server-specific development
discussion is encouraged (or belongs) in #ubuntu-server. That's just
status quo, as far as I'm concerned, though.

:-Dustin

Old 08-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:02:05 pm Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 04:21:36 pm Dustin Kirkland wrote:

> >> Scott,
> >>
> >> I don't think anything really changes in #ubuntu-server, from a
> >> development discussion perspective. There's plenty of
> >> development-related conversations that will continue in
> >> #ubuntu-server, perfectly on-topic. No one is getting kicked/banned
> >> from there, and no one should get slapped on the wrist for talking
> >> devel (in my opinion).
> >>
> >> I read Ahmed's proposition to really be about consolidating
> >> cloud/virt/ensemble/ec2 channels into one -- simplifying the landscape
> >> for those of us subscribed to all 4 and unraveling the maze for our
> >> users seeking cloud-related support.
> >>
> >> The previous recent discussion you refer to, I think, was about
> >> splitting #ubuntu-server and #ubuntu-server-devel. As I remember it,
> >> we, as a community, n'acked the creation/separation to
> >> #ubuntu-server-devel, as we didn't want to divorce ourselves from our
> >> user support channel. I still agree with that sentiment, and I think
> >> that's unchanged even in Ahmed's IRC realignment suggestion.
> >
> > Then I'm a little unclear what Mathiaz' point #1 is about then.
> > "Development discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel" seems pretty clear to
> > me.
>
> I think it's pretty clear, and 100% true. Development discussion
> does, in fact, happen in #ubuntu-devel.
>
> I haven't seen anything forbidding development discussion happening in
> #ubuntu-server.
>
> Have you gotten that impression? Does the above policy deserve some
> clarification? Perhaps that "general" Ubuntu development discussion
> should land in #ubuntu-devel, while Server-specific development
> discussion is encouraged (or belongs) in #ubuntu-server. That's just
> status quo, as far as I'm concerned, though.

I did get that impression based on the complete lack of mention of development
discussion in the #ubuntu-server description and it being mentioned in
#ubuntu-devel.

When discussing Ubuntu Server development, I don't think #ubuntu-devel even
needs a mention as that's not where Ubuntu Server development discussions are
supposed (as I (and apparently you) understand it).

I'm not sure if it was intended to change the status quo or not, but as
written it certainly appears to me that it does.

Scott K

Old 08-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Dustin Kirkland

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:02:05 pm Dustin Kirkland wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>
> wrote:

>> > Then I'm a little unclear what Mathiaz' point #1 is about then.
>> > *"Development discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel" seems pretty clear to
>> > me.
>>
>> I think it's pretty clear, and 100% true. *Development discussion
>> does, in fact, happen in #ubuntu-devel.
>>
>> I haven't seen anything forbidding development discussion happening in
>> #ubuntu-server.
>>
>> Have you gotten that impression? *Does the above policy deserve some
>> clarification? *Perhaps that "general" Ubuntu development discussion
>> should land in #ubuntu-devel, while Server-specific development
>> discussion is encouraged (or belongs) in #ubuntu-server. *That's just
>> status quo, as far as I'm concerned, though.
>>
> I did get that impression based on the complete lack of mention of development
> discussion in the #ubuntu-server description and it being mentioned in
> #ubuntu-devel.
>
> When discussing Ubuntu Server development, I don't think #ubuntu-devel even
> needs a mention as that's not where Ubuntu Server development discussions are
> supposed (as I (and apparently you) understand it).
>
> I'm not sure if it was intended to change the status quo or not, but as
> written it certainly appears to me that it does.

Okay, shall we ask Ahmed to update his proposal to note that "sever"
specific development discussion should continue in #ubuntu-devel?
Would that assuage your concerns, Scott?

:-Dustin

Old 08-12-2010, 03:26 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi!

On 11/08/2010 23:02, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> Have you gotten that impression? Does the above policy deserve some
> clarification? Perhaps that "general" Ubuntu development discussion
> should land in #ubuntu-devel, while Server-specific development
> discussion is encouraged (or belongs) in #ubuntu-server. That's just
> status quo, as far as I'm concerned, though.

+1, if all server, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, etc development had to be
discussed on ubuntu-devel it would get quite noisy there. It's easier
for people to just subscribe to the more specific development lists
they're interested in and keeping ubuntu-devel for the stuff that's
common to more developers. Also, traffic on ubuntu-server is quite low,
doesn't really sound worth while splitting it into a -devel list

-Jonathan