Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Thierry Carrez

Default HPLIP no longer on the Server CD

Hello everyone,

In order to free up some room on the server ISO, starting from Maverick
Alpha3 we removed HPLIP from the install CD. That freed ~ 14 Mb of
various dependencies like SANE or gphoto2, which don't really make sense
on a server anyway.

HPLIP used to be installed when you selected the "Print Server" task at
the end of the install. You will now have to install it from the network
(sudo apt-get install hplip) if you really own HP printers that could
take advantage of its presence. Note that HPIJS is still on the CD, as a
direct dependency of CUPS.

Let me know if that creates any issue, or if you want to propose
something that should be removed instead.

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team

Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Jim Tarvid

Makes sense. I fear there are many differences between Internet facing servers and Intranet servers. *Facing up to that implies two separate "server" CDs.
Jim

In order to free up some room on the server ISO, starting from Maverick

Alpha3 we removed HPLIP from the install CD. That freed ~ 14 Mb of

various dependencies like SANE or gphoto2, which don't really make sense

on a server anyway.

HPLIP used to be installed when you selected the "Print Server" task at

the end of the install. You will now have to install it from the network

(sudo apt-get install hplip) if you really own HP printers that could

take advantage of its presence. Note that HPIJS is still on the CD, as a

direct dependency of CUPS.

Let me know if that creates any issue, or if you want to propose

something that should be removed instead.

--

Thierry Carrez

Ubuntu server team

Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA