Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Mathias Gug

Default Server Team 20100803 meeting minutes

Hi,

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with
the irc logs here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20100803

==== Meeting Actions ====

* SpamapS to send ruby gems proposel to ubuntu-devel
* zul to clean up the SRU assigne list by prodding people on status
* everyone to pick 1 or 2 papercuts for the beta cycle

==== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ====

* SpamapS to work with mathiaz on a proposal, and send proposal to -devel on
ruby gems in ubuntu: Work in progress.
* Daviey & kirkland to review
[[http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/uec.html]]: DONE.
* entire team to fix your papercuts by end-of-the-week: reviewed later in a
meeting topic.
* SpamapS and ScottK to reivew Kolab php5 patches: patches submitted to
upstream and should be available after alpha3.

==== Maverick development (jib) ====

* alpha3 overcommitted, several WI postponed to beta.
* cloud-utils, daily-vcs, uec-monitoring: won't be able to be done before FF.
* added blueprints to track ongoing work like ISO testing and triaging, just
to provide more insight, so those will be in the tracker as well starting the
beta cycle.
* most blueprints should be scoped for the beta workloads now, so please have
a look and make sure there are no anomalies.

==== Alpha3-milestoned bugs (ttx) ====

* remaining bugs were retargeted to beta
* UEC: All-in-one topo working, other topologies and loadtesrting are still
very broken

==== Alpha3 ISO testing (ttx) ====

* ISO respin tomorrow morning: concentrate your ISO testing efforts on
tomorrow's
* Cloud images will also be respun.

Remember area of ISO testing, it's marked down on the corresponding work item.

==== Magical powers ====

ttx bragged about the fact that he could take on a triceratops with his bare
hands and the power of his look. jiboumans shattered ttx dreams reminding him
that science had proved triceratops didn't actually exist.

==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh) ====

* Eucalyptus only works in all-in-one

==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen) ====

* switch to a 2.6.35 pv-ops kernel
* started to bisect kernel to chase down high load bug [0] for idle
instances on ec2.
* Spamaps asked the kernel team to keep on rockin in the free world.

[0]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/574910
==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the Community Team (kim0) ====

* working with IS on releasing the maps app for the 10.04.1 release
* Cloud Portal specs [1] updated and feedback is welcome

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CloudPortalSpecs

==== Weekly SRU review (zul) ====

* SRU tracker [2] operational now.

[2]: http://people.canonical.com/~chucks/SRUTracker/sru-tracker-bugs.html

==== Server papercuts (ttx) ====

* Beta cycle [3] is about to get started.

[3]: https://launchpad.net/server-papercuts/+milestone/maverick-beta

==== Team member activity and presence: Eurekastreams ====

* mathiaz ran into Eureka streams [4] and wondered if that could be used track
team member activity automatically. jiboumans, ttx and Spamaps looked at it
and found potential.
* ttx has been missing recently is some presence tool. Eureka streams may not
help in that regard. Being able to tell people are "at work". Crosscheking
with calendars doesn't really help.

[4]: http://www.eurekastreams.org/

==== Agree on next meeting date and time ====

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, August 10th at 18:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 08-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Tuesday, August 03, 2010 07:43:22 pm Mathias Gug wrote:
> ==== Magical powers ====
>
> ttx bragged about the fact that he could take on a triceratops with his
> bare hands and the power of his look. jiboumans shattered ttx dreams
> reminding him that science had proved triceratops didn't actually exist.

I'm pretty sure it was the Brontosaurus that didn't exist.

Scott K

Old 08-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Paul Graydon

On 08/03/2010 03:04 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 03, 2010 07:43:22 pm Mathias Gug wrote:
>> ==== Magical powers ====
>>
>> ttx bragged about the fact that he could take on a triceratops with his
>> bare hands and the power of his look. jiboumans shattered ttx dreams
>> reminding him that science had proved triceratops didn't actually exist.
> I'm pretty sure it was the Brontosaurus that didn't exist.
>
> Scott K

Correct, but nitpick-able Brontosaurus was the name given to what
was thought to be a new Genus but later identified to be part of the
Apatosaurus genus, so it's name was changed. Brontosaurus is accepted as
a synonym though just so folks could argue whether the Brontosaurus ever
existed or not[1] (amusingly, Brontosaurus makes it into the default
dictionary Thunderbird is using, but Apatosaurus doesn't).

Triceratops is definitely real, but whether ttx could take one on with
his bare hands and the power of his look is well beyond my ken, never
having met either.

Paul

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatosaurus

Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Jos Boumans

On 4 Aug 2010, at 03:04, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 03, 2010 07:43:22 pm Mathias Gug wrote:
>> ==== Magical powers ====
>>
>> ttx bragged about the fact that he could take on a triceratops with
>> his
>> bare hands and the power of his look. jiboumans shattered ttx dreams
>> reminding him that science had proved triceratops didn't actually
>> exist.
>
> I'm pretty sure it was the Brontosaurus that didn't exist.

Not having studied this myself of course, I'm merely
relaying the information from an article in the new
scientist[1]:

"Triceratops had three facial horns and a short, thick neck-frill with
a saw-toothed edge. Torosaurus also had three horns, though at
different angles, and a much longer, thinner, smooth-edged frill with
two large holes in it. So it's not surprising that Othniel Marsh, who
discovered both in the late 1800s, considered them to be separate
species.
Now Scannella and Horner say that triceratops is merely the juvenile
form of torosaurus. As the animal aged, its horns changed shape and
orientation and its frill became longer, thinner and less jagged.
Finally it became fenestrated, producing the classic torosaurus form"

Cheers,

-Jos

[1] http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20727713.500-morphosaurs-how-shapeshifting-dinosaurs-deceived-us.html