Old 08-01-2010, 02:37 AM
James Dinkel

Default replace amavisd-new with mailscanner in main and in documentation

The subject pretty much says it.* I've been doing a lot of reading and testing with both and mailscanner seems to be much easier to use.* They both have fairly equal feature-sets all though MailWatcher for mailscanner is pretty awesome and I see no equivalent for amavisd-new.* I also hear mailscanner has better performance, and after reviewing the architectures of both I would expect mailscanner to have better performance.* Mailscanner's method of getting the emails from postfix and injecting back in to postfix makes more sense and takes advantage of a feature in postfix designed to allow scanning of emails.* From what I see on the 'net, mailscanner also seems to be much more popular (as I would expect).* So I was surprised to see amavisd-new in the official Ubuntu Server documentation.* Mailscanner seems to be the more likely choice to get the nod of approval from the server team.* I'm guessing this has something to do with a problem between mailscanner and postfix in the past, however, without going in to details, that problem has been fixed thanks to a feature added to postfix (the above mentioned feature about scanning of emails).

Thanks for any consideration.

Brazen

Old 08-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Scott Kitterman

"James Dinkel" <jdinkel@gmail.com> wrote:

>The subject pretty much says it. I've been doing a lot of reading and
>testing with both and mailscanner seems to be much easier to use. They both
>have fairly equal feature-sets all though MailWatcher for mailscanner is
>pretty awesome and I see no equivalent for amavisd-new. I also hear
>mailscanner has better performance, and after reviewing the architectures of
>both I would expect mailscanner to have better performance. Mailscanner's
>method of getting the emails from postfix and injecting back in to postfix
>makes more sense and takes advantage of a feature in postfix designed to
>allow scanning of emails. From what I see on the 'net, mailscanner also
>seems to be much more popular (as I would expect). So I was surprised to
>see amavisd-new in the official Ubuntu Server documentation. Mailscanner
>seems to be the more likely choice to get the nod of approval from the
>server team. I'm guessing this has something to do with a problem between
>mailscanner and postfix in the past, however, without going in to details,
>that problem has been fixed thanks to a feature added to postfix (the above
>mentioned feature about scanning of emails).
>
>Thanks for any consideration.

The problem wasn't "between mailscanner and postfix". The problem was mailscanner using internal postfix interfaces to extract and inject mail. From a software engineering perspective this is insane. The mailscanner developers have characterized this as a "political" problem.

Personally, I'm more than slightly skeptical about software developed by people who exhibit such a fundamental lack of understanding of basic software engineering principles.

Amavisd-new is also what upstream (postfix) recommends.

I'm willing to consider alternatives, but I'd want to have a clear understanding of the architectural implications as well as any other advantages/disadvantages.

I have not followed mailscanner development. If you could provide some technical details on what's changed, that would be a good start.

Scott K

Old 08-01-2010, 04:48 AM
James Dinkel

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:

The problem wasn't "between mailscanner and postfix". The problem was mailscanner using internal postfix interfaces to extract and inject mail
That is the problem I was referring to.* It would seem involve both mailscanner and postfix.

Anyway, basically postfix now has the ability to write files to the queue and then hold them there.* MailScanner (or any other scanner that wants to make use of it) can then safely grab the file, send it through scanners, then tell postfix to send it on (or delete it, quarantine it, or tag it if necessary).* The only criticism I've really seen of MailScanner (though I'm sure someone could come up with more if they wanted to) is how it used to rip the emails out of postfix (which would have made mailscanner a definite non-option for me too), but the new method of swapping around the emails takes care of that.

The advantages of MailScanner are easier configuration and management, an awesome (optional) web interface, and performance.* Feature sets look fairly identical, except I know you can do keyword filtering (a must-have in my company) with MCP in maillscanner but I don't see that their is a way to do it with amavisd-new.

Of course, MailScanner is just MY preference and just thought I would mention it.

Brazen

Old 08-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Ante Karamatić

On 01.08.2010 06:48, James Dinkel wrote:

> Anyway, basically postfix now has the ability to write files to the
> queue and then hold them there.

Postfix has always written files to the queue. That's how it works. What
it never supported is 'expecting others to read and write to its queue
files'. For that postfix has transport agents to which mail is
delivered. Mailscanner does exactly what postfix doesn't expect. Or, to
put it in words of http://www.postfix.org/addon.html:

mailscanner system, works with Postfix and other MTAs. WARNING: This
software uses unsupported methods to manipulate Postfix queue files
directly. This will result in corruption or loss of mail. The
mailscanner authors have sofar refused to discuss a proper access API or
protocol.