Old 07-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Alvin

Default double information in motd

If I log in remotely, some servers show double statistics for apt, like this:

0 packages can be updated.
0 updates are security updates.

0 packages can be updated.
0 updates are security updates.

/var/run/motd contains the duplicate information.
/usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-updates-available contains the command
that produces this output (/usr/lib/update-notifier/apt-check --human-
readable)

Any idea why this output appears twice?

--
Alvin

Old 07-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Marc Deslauriers

Hi,

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 10:23 +0200, Alvin wrote:
> If I log in remotely, some servers show double statistics for apt, like this:
>
> 0 packages can be updated.
> 0 updates are security updates.
>
> 0 packages can be updated.
> 0 updates are security updates.
>
> /var/run/motd contains the duplicate information.
> /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-updates-available contains the command
> that produces this output (/usr/lib/update-notifier/apt-check --human-
> readable)
>
> Any idea why this output appears twice?

You probably installed lucid when it was in alpha/beta.

Check to see if your /etc/motd.tail file is empty. If not, empty it.

Marc.