Old 07-12-2010, 04:12 PM
carlopmart

Default Configuring bridges to use with KVM

On 07/12/2010 04:59 PM, carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with an ubuntu lucid 10.04 server used for KVM
> virtualization. My problem appears when I try to configure an "empty"
> bridge in /etc/network/interfaces file. For example, with a RedHat based
> distro (RHEL, CentOS) I can create a config file ifcfg-br20 like this:
>
> DEVICE=br20
> TYPE=Bridge
> ONBOOT=yes
> DELAY=0
> STP=off
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
>
> and then network startup script creates an empty bridge without bind any
> physical interface. I have tried same procedure to configure several
> empty bridges under ubuntu without luck:
>
> auto intprodif
> iface intprodif inet static
> bridge_stp off
> bridge_fd 9
> bridge_hello 2
> bridge_maxage 12
>
> When i try to start this bridge with "ifup intprodif" command returns me
> this error:
>
> carlos@silmaril:~$ sudo ifup intprodif
> Don't seem to be have all the variables for intprodif/inet.
> Failed to bring up intprodif.
>
> How can I define an empty bridge without binding any physical interface
> into it??
>
> Many thanks.

Please, any ideas?? it is very urgent ...

Many thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Old 07-12-2010, 04:17 PM
"Serge E. Hallyn"

Quoting carlopmart (carlopmart@gmail.com):
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with an ubuntu lucid 10.04 server used for KVM virtualization. My
> problem appears when I try to configure an "empty" bridge in /etc/network/interfaces
> file. For example, with a RedHat based distro (RHEL, CentOS) I can create a config
> file ifcfg-br20 like this:
>
> DEVICE=br20
> TYPE=Bridge
> ONBOOT=yes
> DELAY=0
> STP=off
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
>
> and then network startup script creates an empty bridge without bind any physical
> interface. I have tried same procedure to configure several empty bridges under
> ubuntu without luck:
>
> auto intprodif
> iface intprodif inet static
> bridge_stp off
> bridge_fd 9
> bridge_hello 2
> bridge_maxage 12
>
> When i try to start this bridge with "ifup intprodif" command returns me this error:
>
> carlos@silmaril:~$ sudo ifup intprodif
> Don't seem to be have all the variables for intprodif/inet.
> Failed to bring up intprodif.
>
> How can I define an empty bridge without binding any physical interface into it??
>
> Many thanks.

man 5 interfaces says that for 'inet static', the following are required:
address
netmask

Add those and see if it still complains?

-serge

Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 PM
carlopmart

On 07/12/2010 06:17 PM, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting carlopmart (carlopmart@gmail.com):
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a problem with an ubuntu lucid 10.04 server used for KVM virtualization. My
>> problem appears when I try to configure an "empty" bridge in /etc/network/interfaces
>> file. For example, with a RedHat based distro (RHEL, CentOS) I can create a config
>> file ifcfg-br20 like this:
>>
>> DEVICE=br20
>> TYPE=Bridge
>> ONBOOT=yes
>> DELAY=0
>> STP=off
>> NM_CONTROLLED=no
>>
>> and then network startup script creates an empty bridge without bind any physical
>> interface. I have tried same procedure to configure several empty bridges under
>> ubuntu without luck:
>>
>> auto intprodif
>> iface intprodif inet static
>> bridge_stp off
>> bridge_fd 9
>> bridge_hello 2
>> bridge_maxage 12
>>
>> When i try to start this bridge with "ifup intprodif" command returns me this error:
>>
>> carlos@silmaril:~$ sudo ifup intprodif
>> Don't seem to be have all the variables for intprodif/inet.
>> Failed to bring up intprodif.
>>
>> How can I define an empty bridge without binding any physical interface into it??
>>
>> Many thanks.
>
> man 5 interfaces says that for 'inet static', the following are required:
> address
> netmask
>
> Add those and see if it still complains?
>
> -serge

Thanks Serge. I have changed static to manual and ... nothing happens. See:

auto intprodif
iface intprodif inet manual
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 9
bridge_hello 2
bridge_maxage 12

.. and when I execute "ifup intprodif":

carlos@silmaril:~$ sudo ifup intprodif
Restarting openntpd: ntpd.
ssh stop/waiting
ssh start/running, process 8467

.. doesn't returns any error, but if I execute "brctl show":

carlos@silmaril:~$ brctl show
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
carlos@silmaril:~$

... bridge doesn't exists ... Any idea???

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Lionel Porcheron

Le 12/07/2010 18:23, carlopmart a écrit :
> On 07/12/2010 06:17 PM, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
>> Quoting carlopmart (carlopmart@gmail.com):
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with an ubuntu lucid 10.04 server used for KVM virtualization. My
>>> problem appears when I try to configure an "empty" bridge in /etc/network/interfaces
>>> file. For example, with a RedHat based distro (RHEL, CentOS) I can create a config
>>> file ifcfg-br20 like this:
>>>
>>> DEVICE=br20
>>> TYPE=Bridge
>>> ONBOOT=yes
>>> DELAY=0
>>> STP=off
>>> NM_CONTROLLED=no
>>>
>>> and then network startup script creates an empty bridge without bind any physical
>>> interface. I have tried same procedure to configure several empty bridges under
>>> ubuntu without luck:
>>>
>>> auto intprodif
>>> iface intprodif inet static
>>> bridge_stp off
>>> bridge_fd 9
>>> bridge_hello 2
>>> bridge_maxage 12
>>>
>>> When i try to start this bridge with "ifup intprodif" command returns me this error:
>>>
>>> carlos@silmaril:~$ sudo ifup intprodif
>>> Don't seem to be have all the variables for intprodif/inet.
>>> Failed to bring up intprodif.
>>>
>>> How can I define an empty bridge without binding any physical interface into it??
>>>
>>> Many thanks.
>>
>> man 5 interfaces says that for 'inet static', the following are required:
>> address
>> netmask
>>
>> Add those and see if it still complains?
>>
>> -serge
>>

> Thanks Serge. I have changed static to manual and ... nothing happens. See:
>
> auto intprodif
> iface intprodif inet manual
> bridge_stp off
> bridge_fd 9
> bridge_hello 2
> bridge_maxage 12
>
> .. and when I execute "ifup intprodif":
>
> carlos@silmaril:~$ sudo ifup intprodif
> Restarting openntpd: ntpd.
> ssh stop/waiting
> ssh start/running, process 8467
>
> .. doesn't returns any error, but if I execute "brctl show":
>
> carlos@silmaril:~$ brctl show
> bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
> carlos@silmaril:~$
>
> ... bridge doesn't exists ... Any idea???

I think you also want to precise which physical interface you're
bridging. Here is the configuration I use:

auto br0
iface br0 inet manual
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_hello 2
bridge_maxage 12
bridge_stp off

(then you need to bridge your vm on br0 in libvirt configuration files).

Regards,

Lionel

Old 07-12-2010, 04:50 PM
carlopmart

On 07/12/2010 06:40 PM, Lionel Porcheron wrote:
> Le 12/07/2010 18:23, carlopmart a écrit :
>> On 07/12/2010 06:17 PM, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
>>> Quoting carlopmart (carlopmart@gmail.com):

>>> man 5 interfaces says that for 'inet static', the following are required:
>>> address
>>> netmask
>>>
>>> Add those and see if it still complains?
>>>
>>> -serge
>>>

>> Thanks Serge. I have changed static to manual and ... nothing happens. See:
>>
>> auto intprodif
>> iface intprodif inet manual
>> bridge_stp off
>> bridge_fd 9
>> bridge_hello 2
>> bridge_maxage 12
>>
>> .. and when I execute "ifup intprodif":
>>
>> carlos@silmaril:~$ sudo ifup intprodif
>> Restarting openntpd: ntpd.
>> ssh stop/waiting
>> ssh start/running, process 8467
>>
>> .. doesn't returns any error, but if I execute "brctl show":
>>
>> carlos@silmaril:~$ brctl show
>> bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
>> carlos@silmaril:~$
>>
>> ... bridge doesn't exists ... Any idea???
>>

> I think you also want to precise which physical interface you're
> bridging. Here is the configuration I use:
>
> auto br0
> iface br0 inet manual
> bridge_ports eth0
> bridge_hello 2
> bridge_maxage 12
> bridge_stp off
>
> (then you need to bridge your vm on br0 in libvirt configuration files).
>
> Regards,
>
> Lionel

Thanks Lionel, but I need to setup a bridge WITHOUT binding a physical interface.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com