Old 01-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Soren Hansen

Default Ubuntu+eBox status

Hi Javier!

Seeing as feature freeze is slightly less than a month away, I'd like to
get a status update on your progress for eBox in Ubuntu.

When we talked at FOSSCamp, I believe we set a few goals that needed to
be met before feature freeze. The highest priority ones I remember were:

* ebox-samba needs to follow the Debian policy for managing
configuration files. Among other things, this means that it must
preserve user changes to smb.conf. I'd like to get a status on that.
* ebox-printers needs to work with our current set of cups libraries.

It would be lovely if we could get your current stuff packaged up and
uploaded to universe, so that we can begin testing, so everything can be
in good shape before release.

The status of this was requested at our community meeting yesterday, and
I promised I'd CC the list on our correspondance, so please CC the list
when you reply. If you're not subscribed to the list, I'll moderate your
reply through. No worries.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team

Old 01-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Javier Uruen Val

Hi there,

> Seeing as feature freeze is slightly less than a month away, I'd like to
> get a status update on your progress for eBox in Ubuntu.

Well, we have ended up running behind schedule. I have already packaged most
of the eBox modules for Gutsy, you can take a look at the announcement here
[0].

From the functional point of view there are just a few things left to polish
in order to have a full-fledged eBox in Ubuntu or, at least, with the same
functionality as our Debian based version. I will probably fix these issues
next week.

From the Ubuntu packaging point view there are a few other things to work out.
For example, I had to go back to apache 1.3. The reason was the large amount
of memory used by apache2 + modperl + eBox in comparison with apache 1.3: at
least more than 100M. And also some random weirdnesses we didn't have with
the good-old apache. I backported an apache 1.3.34 package from Debian Etch
while I track down the problems I've just explained.

We also ship a patched postfix. This patch [1] adds support for "soft quota".

There are a couple more of perl modules we have packaged:
libnet-cups-perl-0.55 and libtree-perl-1.0.

There are a few other details I have changed based on your previous packaging
work. I'll gather together these things and I'll email you.

You have to keep in mind that we "relax" the Debian policy in some packages in
order to have a working version ASAP. Our first goal was to have a working
Ubuntu version which can be released by us.

Now that we have most of it working smoothly we can pay more attention to the
Ubuntu/Debian policy. And again, we as a project are *very willing* to fix
whatever is needed to comply with the packaging policy.

[...]
> * ebox-samba needs to follow the Debian policy for managing
> configuration files. Among other things, this means that it must
> preserve user changes to smb.conf. I'd like to get a status on that.

I haven't done anything about that yet. It's now when I'll have time to start
with that. We have to decide what we want to do with this. Merging eBox
configuration with user configuration without an external tool which takes
care of it can be very very tricky.

Another approach is detecting if the file which is going to be overwritten has
been modified by the user, in that case the user would be informed and
prompted to confirm changes or cancel. I guess that should be the way to go
with every single configuration file overwritten by eBox from other packages.

My main concern here is not the implementation but the time frame and if we'll
be ready for Hardy.

> * ebox-printers needs to work with our current set of cups libraries.

This shouldn't be a problem as it's already working with the libraries shipped
in Gutsy.

> It would be lovely if we could get your current stuff packaged up and
> uploaded to universe, so that we can begin testing, so everything can be
> in good shape before release.

That would be cool.

> The status of this was requested at our community meeting yesterday, and
> I promised I'd CC the list on our correspondance, so please CC the list
> when you reply. If you're not subscribed to the list, I'll moderate your
> reply through. No worries.

No problem.

[0] http://forum.eboxplatform.com/index.php?topic=77.0
[1] http://vda.sourceforge.net/se.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Thursday 17 January 2008 10:06, Javier Uruen Val wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> > Seeing as feature freeze is slightly less than a month away, I'd like to
> > get a status update on your progress for eBox in Ubuntu.
> We also ship a patched postfix. This patch [1] adds support for "soft
> quota".
> [1] http://vda.sourceforge.net/se.

Upstream has repeatedly declined to include the VDA patch in Postfix because
it doesn't meet their quality standards. We need to continue to NOT include
this patch in our Postfix package.

Scott K

Old 01-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Javier Uruen Val

[...]
> > [1] http://vda.sourceforge.net/se.
>
> Upstream has repeatedly declined to include the VDA patch in Postfix
> because it doesn't meet their quality standards. We need to continue to
> NOT include this patch in our Postfix package.

In that case, I think we can easily strip out that part from our code.

Javi

Old 01-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Thursday 17 January 2008 11:35, Javier Uruen Val wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > [1] http://vda.sourceforge.net/se.
> >
> > Upstream has repeatedly declined to include the VDA patch in Postfix
> > because it doesn't meet their quality standards. We need to continue to
> > NOT include this patch in our Postfix package.
>
> In that case, I think we can easily strip out that part from our code.
>
> Javi

Sounds like an excellent plan. Thanks,

Scott K

Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Mathias Gug

Hi Javier,

Thanks for taking some time to give a short status.

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 04:06:50PM +0100, Javier Uruen Val wrote:
> For example, I had to go back to apache 1.3. The reason was the large amount
> of memory used by apache2 + modperl + eBox in comparison with apache 1.3: at
> least more than 100M. And also some random weirdnesses we didn't have with
> the good-old apache. I backported an apache 1.3.34 package from Debian Etch
> while I track down the problems I've just explained.

That's a rather big change, as apache 1.3 is no longer shipped since
Gutsy. Did you invest some time to figure out what was wrong with the
apache2 setup ?

> There are a couple more of perl modules we have packaged:
> libnet-cups-perl-0.55 and libtree-perl-1.0.

You should submit them for inclusion in universe ASAP.

> I haven't done anything about that yet. It's now when I'll have time to start
> with that. We have to decide what we want to do with this. Merging eBox
> configuration with user configuration without an external tool which takes
> care of it can be very very tricky.
>
> Another approach is detecting if the file which is going to be overwritten has
> been modified by the user, in that case the user would be informed and
> prompted to confirm changes or cancel. I guess that should be the way to go
> with every single configuration file overwritten by eBox from other packages.

I think this is the right approach. Including a merging tool is not the
most important thing and can be added later. At least local
modifications should be detected, the user warned and asked about what
should be done (overwrite or cancel).

--
Mathias

Old 02-09-2008, 04:41 AM
Neal McBurnett

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 01:34:28PM +0100, Javier Uruen Val wrote:
> > I'd like to have some way to easily track your progress and also become
> > aware of any blockers you're encountering. Do you have this kind of
> > overview somewhere on you Trac instance, or could you perhaps keep us
> > updated with a status e-mail from time to time?
>
> I'm going to create a new milestone in our track called Ubuntu Hardy. I'll
> assign tickets to it and some wiki pages explaining design and changes. I'll
> start with this today.

Thanks. I looked at your trac page, and I see one here - is that it?

http://trac.ebox-platform.com/roadmap

Is it up-to-date with the items that are necessary for Hardy?

What is the state of the packages in Hardy? I see several at

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/web/ebox-all

What others are planned?

Should we be asking folks to test them yet? Or would that be
premature?

> If it's fine for you I can post here the progress and most of all, I would
> like to share some issues and decisions that will come up during the process.

Great - email is good, and this is the right place.

I also put ebox on the Server Team IRC meeting schedule for next
Wednesday, 21:00 UTC - can you come to the meeting and give us an
update?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting

I'm really looking forward to having this option for all the folks
that ask for GUI server admin interfaces. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/

Old 02-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Javier Uruen Val

Hi Neal,
[...]
> I also put ebox on the Server Team IRC meeting schedule for next
> Wednesday, 21:00 UTC - can you come to the meeting and give us an
> update?
[...]

Sure I'll drop by to give you an update.

Cheers,

Javi