Old 06-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Jamie McDonald

Default KVM Networking Hell

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Soren Hansen <soren@ubuntu.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 11:09:48PM +0100, Jamie McDonald wrote:

>> I'm not sure if this output got linebroken somewhere. Can you perhaps

>> make sure the terminal you're using is large enough to hold the

>> output and put it on a pastebin so we can be sure noone's e-mail

>> application is messing with the formatting?

> I have pasted a new copy here: http://pastebin.org/322148

I still think it looks kind of weird. I was expecting vnet0 to be

directly underneath eth0, but meh. It's probably fine.

You are correct, it does actually appear under eth0 - the paste bin ruined the formatting too and I wasn't diligent enough to check it.

*

>> Ok. And you haven't used Eucalyptus? It's the only thing I know of

>> that might fiddle with brtables behind the scenes.

> No I have not used Eucalyptus - this is a standard 9.10 build of

> Ubuntu server from Fasthosts.

Oh. So this is running in a hosted environment?

Yes it is, it's a dedicated server running within Fasthosts datacenter in the UK
*

> During my experiments this afternoon I have actually become more

> confused. *I have removed all firewall rules from the host in order to

> test as suggested by Alex (thankyou for your input kind sir). IP

> Forwarding is enabled (even though it should make no difference) and

> the following rules were added (although again I really don't think I

> should need them).

> /sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -d 88.208.249.45 -j ACCEPT

> /sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -s 88.208.249.45 -j ACCEPT

Right, your host does /not/ act as a router or gateway of any kind for

the guest, so iptables and routing and whatnot does not factor into it

at all.

Thankyou for clarifying this, various sources on the internet seem to have conflicting information.
*

> Any other suggestions I could try? Is there anything which Fasthosts

> could have in place which could inhibit a bridged network from

> operating correctly?

Certainly. I hadn't considered that this might be running in a hosted

environment. *Perhaps the port you're connected to only allows one

specific MAC (your host's, of course) in an effort to prevent MAC

spoofing on the network. *This is a problem because your VM has its own

MAC address which is seen on the network (since the host does not act as

a router for it).

I'm assuming you got assigned multiple IP's. Are they expecting you to

route those IP's or something?

As it turns out Soren, you were correct. I contacted Fasthost's support and they've added the new MAC address of the VM to the switch for me. They even came and checked out this mailing list and mentioned you by name in the support ticket to confirm that your thinking was corrected. I can now ping the VM from an external location.

Thankyou to everyone on the list who gave input on the issue, and a massive public thanks to Fasthosts for being so thorough in their support.

Hopefully this thread will help someone else who tries to run virtual machines on Fasthost infrastructure, at least now I know KVM / Bridging inside out! =)

Kind Regards,
Jamie.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Soren Hansen

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 03:56:25PM +0100, Jamie McDonald wrote:
> You are correct, it does actually appear under eth0 - the paste bin
> ruined the formatting too and I wasn't diligent enough to check it.

Cool, thanks for clarifying.

>> Oh. So this is running in a hosted environment?
> Yes it is, it's a dedicated server running within Fasthosts datacenter
> in the UK

I see, ok.

>> Right, your host does /not/ act as a router or gateway of any kind
>> for the guest, so iptables and routing and whatnot does not factor
>> into it at all.
> Thankyou for clarifying this, various sources on the internet seem to
> have conflicting information.

Yeah, there seems to be much confusion in this matter. I started writing
an article on the subject, but never finished it. It's on an old laptop,
I'll dig it out and post it shortly. It explains all this stuff.

> As it turns out Soren, you were correct. I contacted Fasthost's
> support and they've added the new MAC address of the VM to the switch
> for me.

Ok, cool. In another hosting centre I had to actually make my host act
as a router, so that's possible as well.

> They even came and checked out this mailing list and mentioned you by
> name in the support ticket to confirm that your thinking was
> corrected. I can now ping the VM from an external location.

You can tell them I said "hi"

> Hopefully this thread will help someone else who tries to run virtual
> machines on Fasthost infrastructure, at least now I know KVM /
> Bridging inside out! =)

No problem

--
Soren Hansen