-   -   General question or experiences about Landscape/Ubuntu Cloud /Cluster functionality. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/376790-general-question-experiences-about-landscape-ubuntu-cloud-cluster-functionality.html)

Benoit des Ligneris 05-26-2010 06:32 PM

General question or experiences about Landscape/Ubuntu Cloud /Cluster functionality.

Hello,

Well, I'm a bit "tainted" here as I was chairman of the OSCAR (Open Source Cluster Application Ressources) project
some years ago (competition between Rocks and OSCAR was ... fierce at this time ;-). Rocks is single distro, OSCAR

is multi-distro (RPM-based initially but debian based now thanks to Geoffroy Vallée and Inria in France).

Anyway, OSCAR and Rocks provide the same cluster stack. I'm not aware of any HPC stack that officially

support Ubuntu but OSCAR is running fine on Debian (http://oscarondebian.gforge.inria.fr/)

My guess is that it would be relatively easy to use OSCAR on Ubuntu and I will gladly help make this happen ;-)

On another level, from what I understand, you "only" need a Java + Postgresql stack and this could be very easily
achieved with network boot, debian pre-seed and a configuration management system (BCFG2, Cfengine2, Puppet, etc.). We manage more than 1000 Ubuntu servers worldwide for various customers with this setup.

Ben