Old 06-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Thierry Carrez

Default Server Support

Mathias Gug wrote:
>> In my case, actually having those unanswered questions kind of prevent
>> me from using the channel for random development chat. I don't feel like
>> appearing as an insensitive developer that continues his work and jokes
>> with co-workers while people beg for help on the channel. And most of
>> the time I could help them, if only I had the free time[tm] to do so.
>
> I understand that feeling. One perspective could be to set the expectations
> right: answers given in the channel are done on a best effort basis. And one
> should not be offended if their questions aren't answered even if people are
> chatting in the channel.

If I'm the only one bothered by this, I have no issue keeping the status
quo.

> The current help factoids states:
>
> Please don't ask to ask a question, simply ask the question (all on ONE line
> and in the channel, so that others can read and follow it easily). If anyone
> knows the answer they will most likely reply. :-)
>
> How about splitting out the help factoid to include a statement about setting
> the expectations right:
>
> Thanks for stopping by and ask for help. We'll try to help you out on a best
> effort basis. If anyone knows the answer they will probably reply. If you have
> a serious problem you may wanna opt for another support option available at
> http://www.ubuntu.com/support/.
>
> When someone asks a question one could always use the help factoid to set their
> expectations right.

Maybe the channel topic should be updated to reflect that development is
the main thing we discuss on this channel ? Currently it shows:

Ubuntu Server discussion and support | For general (not server specific)
support visit #ubuntu | IRC Guidelines:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcGuidelines | Get involved:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/GettingInvolved | Be patient. Don't
ask to ask, just ask. | Docs and resources:
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/

How about:

Ubuntu Server development, discussion and support | For general (not
server specific) questions visit #ubuntu | Get involved:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/GettingInvolved | Be patient. Don't
ask to ask, just ask. | Docs and resources:
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/

Then it wouldn't feel so awkward to ignore support questions to discuss
development issues.

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team

Old 06-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Scott Kitterman

"Thierry Carrez" <thierry.carrez@ubuntu.com> wrote:

>Mathias Gug wrote:
>>> In my case, actually having those unanswered questions kind of prevent
>>> me from using the channel for random development chat. I don't feel like
>>> appearing as an insensitive developer that continues his work and jokes
>>> with co-workers while people beg for help on the channel. And most of
>>> the time I could help them, if only I had the free time[tm] to do so.
>>
>> I understand that feeling. One perspective could be to set the expectations
>> right: answers given in the channel are done on a best effort basis. And one
>> should not be offended if their questions aren't answered even if people are
>> chatting in the channel.
>
>If I'm the only one bothered by this, I have no issue keeping the status
>quo.
>
>> The current help factoids states:
>>
>> Please don't ask to ask a question, simply ask the question (all on ONE line
>> and in the channel, so that others can read and follow it easily). If anyone
>> knows the answer they will most likely reply. :-)
>>
>> How about splitting out the help factoid to include a statement about setting
>> the expectations right:
>>
>> Thanks for stopping by and ask for help. We'll try to help you out on a best
>> effort basis. If anyone knows the answer they will probably reply. If you have
>> a serious problem you may wanna opt for another support option available at
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/support/.
>>
>> When someone asks a question one could always use the help factoid to set their
>> expectations right.
>
>Maybe the channel topic should be updated to reflect that development is
>the main thing we discuss on this channel ? Currently it shows:
>
>Ubuntu Server discussion and support | For general (not server specific)
>support visit #ubuntu | IRC Guidelines:
>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcGuidelines | Get involved:
>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/GettingInvolved | Be patient. Don't
>ask to ask, just ask. | Docs and resources:
>https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/
>
>How about:
>
>Ubuntu Server development, discussion and support | For general (not
>server specific) questions visit #ubuntu | Get involved:
>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/GettingInvolved | Be patient. Don't
>ask to ask, just ask. | Docs and resources:
>https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/
>
>Then it wouldn't feel so awkward to ignore support questions to discuss
>development issues.

I'm fine with that.

Scott K

Old 06-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Adrián Ribao Martínez

Hello,

We are about to buy a Fujitsu server:

* Fujitsu Primergy RX300

and I'd like to know if someone has experience with it. I'm afraid that The server is not supported by debian. They don't list debian in the supported OS and there are no drivers for this server.

Thank you for your help,

Adrian

Old 06-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Javier Barroso