Old 05-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Jos Boumans

Default Ubuntu Server update for Maverick Meerkat

Hi,

with the Maverick cycle kicking off and UDS-M just behind
us, it's time to take a look at what's in store for the next
release of Ubuntu Server. In broad strokes, these will be
the likely topics:

* Better integration with Upstart
* Further improvements to Mail & Cluster stack
* Adopt Ceph & GlusterFS, MongoDB, Drizzle & Cassandra
* Ease deployments & loadbalancing in the cloud
* For UEC: enabling kernel upgrades, virtio support,
new admin UI, easier developer deployment, cloud on
a stick and lots more testing
* Adopt & improve the following Java stacks: Tomcat,
Ehcache, Hibernate, Hadoop and Pig

Like last iteration, we'll be reviewing and accepting blueprints
proposed for Maverick[1] on a per milestone basis[2]. This week,
we'll review the work for Alpha2 and you'll be able to track the
progress on the work item tracker[3].

If you'd like to contribute to the Maverick release, please join
us at our weekly IRC meetings[4] on Tuesdays between 1800 and 1900
UTC on #ubuntu-meeting on irc.freenode.net. We could especially use
your help in the papercuts project[5] and bug triaging[6]!

On behalf of the Ubuntu Server Team,

-Jos

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/~jib/+specs?searchtext=server-
maverick
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickReleaseSchedule
[3] http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/maverick/canonical-server-maverick-alpha-2.html
[4] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting
[5] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-maverick-papercuts
[6] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase#Bug%20Triager

Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Gustavo Niemeyer

Hi Jos,

> with the Maverick cycle kicking off and UDS-M just behind
> us, it's time to take a look at what's in store for the next
> release of Ubuntu Server. In broad strokes, these will be
> the likely topics:

Are the LXC conversations a subtopic in one of those items, or should
it be included as a new topic?

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net

Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 AM
"Martijn Struijk - PCextreme B.V."

Hi,

Maby it's a bit early for this but i looked around on the pages/etc and
i am kinda curious about the implementation of CEPH.

I couldn't find if this will be the kernel client modules or something
other:
http://ceph.newdream.net/2010/05/linux-v2-6-34-is-out/

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn Struijk
PCextreme Systeembeheer
Telefoon Support: 0900 9633 (45 cpm)
Telefoon Support (Belgie): 0900 70312
Telefoon Algemeen: (+31) (0)20 50 60 110
Fax: +31 (0)20 50 60 111
E-mail: support@pcextreme.nl
Website: http://www.pcextreme.nl
Kennisbank: http://support.pcextreme.nl
Netwerkstatus: http://nmc.pcextreme.nl

Old 06-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Clint Byrum

Hi Martin,

On Jun 7, 2010, at 4:04 AM, Martijn Struijk - PCextreme B.V. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maby it's a bit early for this but i looked around on the pages/etc and
> i am kinda curious about the implementation of CEPH.
>
> I couldn't find if this will be the kernel client modules or something
> other:
> http://ceph.newdream.net/2010/05/linux-v2-6-34-is-out/

Ceph is still an experimental filesystem, so it won't be fully supported.

It will be available in Maverick though.

In fact, as of at least 2.6.34-4-generic its included as a module, and the
tools have been auto-synced from debian, so if you are running Maverick
and are up to date, you should be able to play with ceph now.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
"Kapil Thangavelu"

On Mon, 24 May 2010 16:20:35 -0400, Gustavo Niemeyer
<gustavo.niemeyer@canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi Jos,
>
>> with the Maverick cycle kicking off and UDS-M just behind
>> us, it's time to take a look at what's in store for the next
>> release of Ubuntu Server. In broad strokes, these will be
>> the likely topics:
>
> Are the LXC conversations a subtopic in one of those items, or should
> it be included as a new topic?

on that note, i wanted to point out that an lxc ubuntu template script was
committed upstream in lxc user space tools
http://lxc.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=lxc/lxc;a=blob;f=templates/lxc-ubuntu.in;h=b10575b7e8fbd4e9b0c2c5a40bf384cd84ec90 2d;hb=HEAD

cheers,

Kapil