Old 01-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Casey Hendley

Default forcedeth problems

Unfortunately, nForce chipsets have never played nicely with Linux and
still don't. The blame rests squarely on Nvidia, unfortunately, and
their extreme reticence to open up any of their drivers (despite this, I
will pretty much only use Nvidia when it comes to separate video cards).

PCI NICs are very inexpensive for Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) and quite
affordable for Gigabit. The Intel PRO/1000s I use in all my boxes on my
home LAN go for US$30 on Newegg, and I'm sure other retailers around the
world carry them at similar price points. I don't use any integrated
NICs because I want to take advantage of jumbo frames, which the vast
majority of integrated stuff will not do. You should be able to get a
10/100 NIC for around US$10, easily. I prefer 3Com and Intel but most
brands of PCI NIC will be "plug n play" in Linux.

-Casey