Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Leander Janssen

Default some services don't bind to socket during boot

Hi All,

After upgrading my server from Karmic to Lucid a couple of services
don't bind to their specified ip socket anymore during the boot process.

The services that are affected are ssh, powerdns, iscsitarget, smb.

When checking the log files the services complain that the ip socket
they want to bind to does not exist.

What these services all have in common is that I've configured
a specific socket, instead of running the service on all interfaces and
ip addresses (0.0.0.0 or ::.

Another detail is that I'm using multiple ip addresses on the same
network interface. And that I'm using a bridge configuration to host
some kvm guests. I've attached a copy of my /etc/network/interfaces.

When I restart the services after boot they attach nicely to their
configured socket. But this is a bit problematic on a headless server
that is running in a remote datacenter.

I assume some sort of timing issue with upstart where the network
interface configration is not yet fully completed when other services
are being started.

Does anybody has an idea how I can further troubleshoot this issue?

Kind Regards,

Leander Janssen

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth0 inet6 manual

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
address 192.168.0.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_fd 0
bridge_hello 2
bridge_maxage 12
bridge_stp off
bridge_maxwait 0
up /sbin/ip addr add 192.168.0.101/24 brd + dev br0 label br0:0

iface br0 inet6 static
address 2001:6xx:6xx::100:0
netmask 64
gateway 2001:6xx:6xx::1
up /sbin/ip -6 addr add 2001:6xx:6xx::101:0/64 dev br0 preferred_lft 0

Old 05-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Alejandro Leyva

We have the same issue, after a Karmic to Lucid upgrade we have the
same behavior with bacula-sd, libvirt-bin, nagios-nrpe-server, ntp and
snmp, the same for some static routes added through rc.local. And also
we have serious issues with VM's under KVM, the main problem seems to
be something about AppArmor.

We have not investigate the issue far from this point because it is a
devel ambient.

Regards.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Jamie Strandboge

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 12:21 -0500, Alejandro Leyva wrote:
> And also
> we have serious issues with VM's under KVM, the main problem seems to
> be something about AppArmor.

If you could review https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingApparmor and, if
appropriate, file a bug in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/+filebug this will
allow developers to take a look at your problem.

Thanks

--
Jamie Strandboge | http://www.canonical.com

Old 05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Ante Karamatić

On 21.05.2010 10:17, Leander Janssen wrote:

> Another detail is that I'm using multiple ip addresses on the same
> network interface. And that I'm using a bridge configuration to host
> some kvm guests. I've attached a copy of my /etc/network/interfaces.

I have a feeling this is related to upstart, and not apparmor. bridged
interfaces are up after the service is started. So if service is started
before designated IP is up, it will fail to start. That would explain
why those same services work after manual restart.

We have this same problem with corosync :/