Old 05-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Adam Sommer

Default Mail Stack Name RFC

Hello,
At the mail integration session during UDS last week, it was discussed to come up with some better names for the dovecot-postfix and the new amavisd-postfix packages. *Something that would be more descriptive of what the package does. *Some ideas were:

**dovecot-postifx (backend): deliver, mail-stack, authentication**amavis-postfix (front-end): reception, mail-stack, mail-stack-filtering, border
My personal preference is mail-stack-authentication and mail-stack-filtering, but we would like to*solicit*some additional ideas. *Since these packages do multiple things choosing a name that covers each feature is somewhat difficult.

Thanks for your help.
--
Party On,
Adam

Old 05-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Imre Gergely

What about something more exotic, like dovefix and in the description
you can say what it's for.

Or because dovecot/amavis is kinda integrated in postfix (like dovecot
doing the delivery/auth for postfix, that's a big part of mail
delivery), it could be something with -integrate .

IMHO mail-stack-auth is too generic for a package name. It should at
least contain "dovecot", or "postfix", or as above suggested, both
because it's not really related to sendmail/exim/courier*.

/me *hides*

--
Imre Gergely
Yahoo!: gergelyimre | ICQ#: 101510959

Old 05-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Eric Hammond

I assume you're not renaming postfix, so I would vote for keeping the clear, descriptive name dovecot-postfix. The other choices are more confusing to me.

If a set of names are desired for new Linux server users, then perhaps they belong in some simplified view where choices are reduced a la tasksel.

--
Eric Hammond

Old 05-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Scott Kitterman

"Adam Sommer" <asommer70@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>At the mail integration session during UDS last week, it was discussed to
>come up with some better names for the dovecot-postfix and the new
>amavisd-postfix packages. Something that would be more descriptive of what
>the package does. Some ideas were:
>
> dovecot-postifx (backend): deliver, mail-stack, authentication
> amavis-postfix (front-end): reception, mail-stack, mail-stack-filtering,
>border
>
>My personal preference is mail-stack-authentication and
>mail-stack-filtering, but we would like to solicit some additional ideas.
> Since these packages do multiple things choosing a name that covers each
>feature is somewhat difficult.

Thanks for getting the conversation started.

I'd been thinking:

mail-stack-delivery
mail-stack-relay

Then if I can automate Exchange integration (I have some ideas around this), it could be called:

mail-stack-relay-exchange

If someone has access to an Exchange box I could test with, that would be good to know.

Scott K

Old 05-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Scott Kitterman

"Imre Gergely" <gimre@narancs.net> wrote:

>What about something more exotic, like dovefix and in the description
>you can say what it's for.
>
>Or because dovecot/amavis is kinda integrated in postfix (like dovecot
>doing the delivery/auth for postfix, that's a big part of mail
>delivery), it could be something with -integrate .
>
>IMHO mail-stack-auth is too generic for a package name. It should at
>least contain "dovecot", or "postfix", or as above suggested, both
>because it's not really related to sendmail/exim/courier*.

The names should be functional. It's quite alright for us to have made some opinionated choices around the tools we recommend.

The mail stack is built around the tools we support. This shouldn't be surprising. What we are trying to achieve is a name that will make sense to people who don't know package names.

Scott K

Old 05-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Adam Sommer

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:

mail-stack-delivery

mail-stack-relay

mail-stack-relay-exchange

I like these too, they make sense and seem to be quite extendable. *I also like the -integrate, or -integration, idea. *Just thinking of something like:

**mail-stack-ldap-integration**mail-stack-sql-integration
Or something similar for different authentication methods. *But then again it could be simply:

**mail-stack-relay-ldap**mail-stack-delivery-ldap**mail-stack-relay-sql
For the different stack "modes".*

--Party On,

Adam

Old 05-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Ante Karamatić

On 17.05.2010 18:58, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> If someone has access to an Exchange box I could test with, that would be good to know.

I have a working solution, tested and in production

Old 05-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Scott Kitterman

"Ante Karamatić" <ivoks@grad.hr> wrote:

>On 17.05.2010 18:58, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>
>> If someone has access to an Exchange box I could test with, that would be good to know.
>
>I have a working solution, tested and in production

Even better. I'll leave that bit for you.

Scott K

Old 05-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Monday, May 17, 2010 12:48:40 pm Eric Hammond wrote:
(top posting fixed)
> On May 17, 2010, at 7:12 AM, Adam Sommer <asommer70@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > At the mail integration session during UDS last week, it was discussed to
come up with some better names for the dovecot-postfix and the new amavisd-
postfix packages. Something that iwould be more descriptive of what the
package does. Some ideas were:
> > dovecot-postifx (backend): deliver, mail-stack, authentication
> > amavis-postfix (front-end): reception, mail-stack,
> > mail-stack-filtering, border
> >
> > My personal preference is mail-stack-authentication and
> > mail-stack-filtering, but we would like to solicit some additional
> > ideas. Since these packages do multiple things choosing a name that
> > covers each feature is somewhat difficult.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> I assume you're not renaming postfix, so I would vote for keeping the
> clear, descriptive name dovecot-postfix. The other choices are more
> confusing to me.
>
> If a set of names are desired for new Linux server users, then perhaps they
> belong in some simplified view where choices are reduced a la tasksel.

No, we are not renaming postfix.

dovecot-postfix is only clear if you know about different *nix LDAs and MTAs.
We'd still keep the specifics in the package description, but want to move to
something function for the package name.

This is part of the initiative to build up different community supported
"stacks" in the Ubuntu Server world. As it happens, mail and cluster are the
two areas where we have existing work to build on.

Scott K