-   -   Help needed! Raid5 inactive (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/371048-help-needed-raid5-inactive.html)

Laurent Dinclaux 05-14-2010 09:27 AM

Help needed! Raid5 inactive

Hello,

After a reboot, my raid5 array fails. I cannot boot the system at all
and only have the initramfs command line.

Here is what cat proc/mdstat gives me about my raid5 partition:

md0: inactive sdc[3](S) sdb5[1](S) sda5[0](S)

When I do

mdadm --assemble --scan --force

I get mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 2 drives (out of 3) and 1 spare.

Here is what cat proc/mdstat gives me
md0 : active raid5 sda5[0] sdc5[3] sdb5[1]
... 2[3/2] [UU_]

And it shows me the recovery progress bar.

After a while, I get:
raid5 : Disk failure on sdb5, disabling device.
raid5: Operation continuing on 1 devices.

Here is what cat proc/mdstat gives me:
md0 : active raid5 sda5[0] sdc[3](S) sdb5[4](F)

I am stuck there. How can I reassemble the raid5 array with sda and sdc ?

--
Laurent Dinclaux
Gérant - Gecka SARL

Préservez nos forêts, n’imprimez vos mails que si nécessaire.
Preserve our forests, only print your emails if necessary.

Benjamin Griese 05-14-2010 01:47 PM

Help needed! Raid5 inactive

Hi Laurent,
could you please check the output of your assembled devices:mdadm --detail /dev/md0

Additionally check the S.M.A.R.T status of your disks, maybe the disk should be replaced by a new one.In the past I had some strange issues with a USB-Storage RAID1 on the root device (yeah no good idea, but nice for collecting experience :) )
mdadm regulary degraded the raid1 due to a lot of problems with the USB-Stick (shown in dmesg), but the sticks are running fine when used as single disks.
Check dmesg and your syslog for further messages.

Bye.

[...]

To be or not to be -- Shakespeare | To do is to be -- Nietzsche | To be is to do -- Sartre | Do be do be do -- Sinatra