Old 05-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Andreas Ntaflos

Default Disabling plymouth framebuffer on servers (virtual and physical)?

Hello list,

I have been running a few test instances of Ubuntu 10.04 server on a few
hosts, both as virtual and as physical instances. The problem I am
having is that the usage of a framebuffer (that's what I believe it is)
in plymouth *really* slows down the console output. It is worst when
using virt-manager or virt-viewer to access the console of a virtual
machine instance.

I have set the Grub default commandline in /etc/default/grub to "text",
i.e. removed "quiet". When booting up it shows a lot of the usual
kernel boot-up messages, which fly by very fast. Then comes a point
where some switch occurs (Kernel Mode Setting kicking in?) and
everything becomes dog slow. I have made a screencast to illustrate
this: https://daff.pseudoterminal.org/misc/console-slow.ogg

What you see is not a recording artifact or anything like it, the output
really is that slow. The situation is of course better on real hardware
with a real graphics card but even there the output is slower than it
should be.

So how can I disable this behaviour in plymouth and go back to regular
console output without any framebuffer or KMS? Can I do something with
virt-manager/Libvirt to mitigate this?

Needless to say Ubuntu 9.10 server instances run fine and the console
output is as fast as ever. It is plymouth and related changes that seem
to screw things up.

Any help or insight is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Andreas
--
Andreas Ntaflos
Vienna, Austria

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC 7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4

Old 05-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Thierry Carrez

Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> So how can I disable this behaviour in plymouth and go back to regular
> console output without any framebuffer or KMS?

It's actually not coming from plymouth, but is enabled in the kernel.

> Can I do something with
> virt-manager/Libvirt to mitigate this?

Could you try adding "nomodeset" to the kernel boot options ?

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team

Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Andreas Ntaflos

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 17:35:02 Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> > So how can I disable this behaviour in plymouth and go back to
> > regular console output without any framebuffer or KMS?
>
> It's actually not coming from plymouth, but is enabled in the kernel.
>
> > Can I do something with
> > virt-manager/Libvirt to mitigate this?
>
> Could you try adding "nomodeset" to the kernel boot options ?

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately "nomodeset" doesn't change anything it seems. I added it
to the GRUB defaults, updated GRUB and rebooted. The flag "nomodeset"
shows up in /proc/cmdline but everything goes exactly as illustrated in
the screencast, i.e. horribly slow

Is there anything else I can try?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Paul Nuffer

Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Andreas Ntaflos

On Monday 17 May 2010 20:56:00 Paul Nuffer wrote:
> On 05/12/2010 09:49 AM, Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> > Unfortunately "nomodeset" doesn't change anything it seems. I added
> > it to the GRUB defaults, updated GRUB and rebooted. The flag
> > "nomodeset" shows up in /proc/cmdline but everything goes exactly
> > as illustrated in the screencast, i.e. horribly slow
> >
> > Is there anything else I can try?
>
> Blacklisting the vga16fb module fixed the slowness for my 10.04 LTS
> VMs in VirtualBox:
>
> #/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
>
> blacklist vga16fb
>
> # end of that mess

Thank you, that's wonderful! Finally a way to get that console back to a
usable state! Works well!

> I found this as a quick fix on a blog a while back, but if there are
> better ideas I'd be willing to try them!

Should we file a bug report about this on launchpad?

Thanks again!

Andreas

Old 05-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Andreas Ntaflos

On Tuesday 18 May 2010 08:53:28 Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> Should we file a bug report about this on launchpad?

I have filed a bug now: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/582145

Andreas