Old 05-11-2010, 01:11 AM
"Mike.lifeguard"

Default check-bios-nx

Old 05-11-2010, 02:57 AM
Jim Tarvid

Fascinating in a perverse way. The NX (no execute bit) is a tacit concession that Von Neumann architecture is a mistake. Not sure how much performance is lost by using it and even less sure if anybody actually uses it. It may be called something else in the BIOS (perhaps data protection or enhanced virus protection). http://kerneltrap.org/node/3240

Burroughs large systems incorporated an NX like feature in its memory mapping scheme. http://www.groupsrv.com/computers/about487.html

I suspect this discussion is academic since Intel's support of the NX bit has not been consistent which could lead to a coding nightmare.

I've put this conversation back on the ubuntu-server list, perhaps someone else has wisdom.

Jim