Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Kaushal Shriyan

Default Logrotate Utility

Hi,

I have a weird issue about logrotate utility slowing down the server
running ubuntu linux 8.04 hardy server. My logrotate runs at around
12:30 pm everyday and during this time it slows down. The load is high
on the box.

There is no error in dmesg and as well as syslog service.

Please suggest/guide me how do i go about in fixing this issue.

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Andy Rabagliati

On Thu, 06 May 2010, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a weird issue about logrotate utility slowing down the server
> running ubuntu linux 8.04 hardy server. My logrotate runs at around
> 12:30 pm everyday and during this time it slows down. The load is high
> on the box.
>
> There is no error in dmesg and as well as syslog service.
>
> Please suggest/guide me how do i go about in fixing this issue.

How big are your logfiles ?

logrotate often compresses old logs - if you have huge logfiles that
could slow things down.

Log less stuff.

Cheers, Andy!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Benjamin Griese

Yes, thats plausible
Another solution would be, do not compress and do not hold back log files for too long or do if you have enough free space :>

Bye.

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:52, Andy Rabagliati <andyr@wizzy.com> wrote:

On Thu, 06 May 2010, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> Hi,

> I have a weird issue about logrotate utility slowing down the server

> running ubuntu linux 8.04 hardy server. My logrotate runs at around

> 12:30 pm everyday and during this time it slows down. The load is high

> on the box.

> There is no error in dmesg and as well as syslog service.

> Please suggest/guide me how do i go about in fixing this issue.

How big are your logfiles ?

logrotate often compresses old logs - if you have huge logfiles that

could slow things down.

Log less stuff.

Cheers, *Andy!

To be or not to be -- Shakespeare | To do is to be -- Nietzsche | To be is to do -- Sartre | Do be do be do -- Sinatra