FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Server Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Sasha Levin
 
Default S3 sleep with ubuntu-server

Hi,

I'm testing S3 sleep on a server installed with ubuntu-server.

Sending it to sleep and waking it up once using wake-on-lan once works well.
Further attempts to send it to sleep make it resume from sleep almost instantaneously without any obvious reason.



I've tried running the same test using ubuntu-desktop, but that worked perfectly. The server stayed in S3 even after several wake-on-lan cycles.
/var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages don't show a clear reason why the
desktop works and the server doesn't

How can I debug the problem? Or is it something thats currently missing from the kernel configuration for servers?



Thanks,
Sasha

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 05-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Dustin Kirkland
 
Default S3 sleep with ubuntu-server

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Sasha Levin <levinsasha928@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm testing S3 sleep on a server installed with ubuntu-server.

Awesome! I use it *all* the time with the 10+ machines I use in my
house running Ubuntu server. It saves me many dollars per month, when
these machines are idle.

> Sending it to sleep and waking it up once using wake-on-lan once works well.
> Further attempts to send it to sleep make it resume from sleep almost
> instantaneously without any obvious reason.

Please file a bug against the pm-utils package in Ubuntu. Please
explain a bit more there about what the effect is, what hardware you
have, etc.

> I've tried running the same test using ubuntu-desktop, but that worked
> perfectly. The server stayed in S3 even after several wake-on-lan cycles.
> /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages don't show a clear reason why the
> desktop works and the server doesn't

What are you using to suspend both? /usr/sbin/pm-suspend?

Can you wake it correctly with other mechanisms besides WoL? Like
just pressing the power button? If so, then it's probably breakage in
the ethernet driver, and may be work-around-able (sp?) with ethtool.

:-Dustin

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Sasha Levin
 
Default S3 sleep with ubuntu-server

Hi,

I have a HP dc7900 workstation which has an Intel 82567LM NIC. BIOS is fully updated. I've used ubuntu-server 10.4 with the kernel it was shipped with.

What happens is that once the machine is awaken once using WoL command It'll refuse to go to sleep and even shut down. If i send it to sleep again (or shut it down) it'll just jump back online immediately.



I've tried using 3 methods to suspend the machine: pm-suspend, 'echo mem > /sys/power/state' and 'pmi action suspend'. All 3 are showing the same behavior as specified above.

If I don't send a WoL the machine doesn't have this issue, I can wake it up and send it back to sleep multiple times using the power button. Problem is, I need it to work with WoL too.



On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Dustin Kirkland <kirkland@canonical.com> wrote:


On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Sasha Levin <levinsasha928@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm testing S3 sleep on a server installed with ubuntu-server.



Awesome! *I use it *all* the time with the 10+ machines I use in my

house running Ubuntu server. *It saves me many dollars per month, when

these machines are idle.



> Sending it to sleep and waking it up once using wake-on-lan once works well.

> Further attempts to send it to sleep make it resume from sleep almost

> instantaneously without any obvious reason.



Please file a bug against the pm-utils package in Ubuntu. *Please

explain a bit more there about what the effect is, what hardware you

have, etc.



> I've tried running the same test using ubuntu-desktop, but that worked

> perfectly. The server stayed in S3 even after several wake-on-lan cycles.

> /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages don't show a clear reason why the

> desktop works and the server doesn't



What are you using to suspend both? */usr/sbin/pm-suspend?



Can you wake it correctly with other mechanisms besides WoL? *Like

just pressing the power button? *If so, then it's probably breakage in

the ethernet driver, and may be work-around-able (sp?) with ethtool.



:-Dustin



--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:33 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org