Old 05-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Sander van Vugt

Default ext2 for /boot ?

Any particular reason why you would want a journaling file system on a
small directory that has no important changes?

I guess that's why.

Regards,
Sander

Old 05-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Benjamin Griese

Think about a power off/surge while you're install a new kernel

Any particular reason why you would want a journaling file system on a

small directory that has no important changes?

I guess that's why.

Regards,

Sander

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 15:03 +0100, Paul Elliott wrote:

> Hi all,

> I've just completed our first automatic preseeded build of 10.04 using

> the same preseed script used for previous releases. Strangely, the

> installer is now using ext2 for /boot rather than ext3 as used

> previously. For info we're using automatic partitioning with LVM. Is

> this a concious change in policy for /boot or a regression?

> --

> Paul Elliott, UNIX Systems Administrator

> Computing Service, University of York

To be or not to be -- Shakespeare | To do is to be -- Nietzsche | To be is to do -- Sartre | Do be do be do -- Sinatra

Old 05-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Paul Elliott

On 05/05/10 15:31, Benjamin Griese wrote:
> Think about a power off/surge while you're install a new kernel

Took the words right out of my mouth :-)

On the server we would much rather have stability over a small (if any)
increase in boot speed and that's why I'm asking if this was a change in
policy or a regression.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Wes Hardin

On 05/05/2010 09:47 AM, Paul Elliott wrote:
> On 05/05/10 15:31, Benjamin Griese wrote:
>> Think about a power off/surge while you're install a new kernel
>
> Took the words right out of my mouth :-)
>
> On the server we would much rather have stability over a small (if any)
> increase in boot speed and that's why I'm asking if this was a change in
> policy or a regression.

I gotta think a UPS would provide better stability during a power outage than ext3.
--
/* Wes Hardin */

Old 05-05-2010, 04:25 PM
MJang

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 10:49 -0500, Wes Hardin wrote:
> On 05/05/2010 09:47 AM, Paul Elliott wrote:
> > On 05/05/10 15:31, Benjamin Griese wrote:
> >> Think about a power off/surge while you're install a new kernel
> >
> > Took the words right out of my mouth :-)
> >
> > On the server we would much rather have stability over a small (if any)
> > increase in boot speed and that's why I'm asking if this was a change in
> > policy or a regression.
>
> I gotta think a UPS would provide better stability during a power outage than ext3.

If I remember right, Fedora seems to default to ext4 for /boot now. Any
pluses/minuses relative to ext3 in that respect?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Sander van Vugt

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 15:47 +0100, Paul Elliott wrote:
> On 05/05/10 15:31, Benjamin Griese wrote:
> > Think about a power off/surge while you're install a new kernel
>
> Took the words right out of my mouth :-)

Good point. I think that the default journaling mode doesn't add real
protection. It just registers in the journal that the file was open for
writing. In case it crashes, the journal will be able that the file was
open for writing, which causes that file only to be repaired. IMHO that
doesn't make sense.

It does make sense if you use the data=journal mount option for your
ext3 /boot file system. But, as far as I know, that doesn't happen by
default.

Just my two cents, hope it's useful :-)

Sander