Old 04-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Etienne Goyer

Default iSCSI target software

Hello all,

It seems like we have two options if we want to run an iSCSI target (a
"server") in lucid:

- iscsitarget: widely used, but seems unmaintained.

- tgt: the project seems more active, it's been recommended to me by
people who had to use both, but the Ubuntu package lack an init script /
upstart job to start tgtd.

Both are in universe.

I am wondering what people think of these two options, and if it would
be appropriate to write a MIR to get one of those in main.

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd

~= Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings =~

Old 04-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Chuck Short

On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 12:13 -0400, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It seems like we have two options if we want to run an iSCSI target (a
> "server") in lucid:
>
> - iscsitarget: widely used, but seems unmaintained.
>
> - tgt: the project seems more active, it's been recommended to me by
> people who had to use both, but the Ubuntu package lack an init script /
> upstart job to start tgtd.
>

> Both are in universe.
>
> I am wondering what people think of these two options, and if it would
> be appropriate to write a MIR to get one of those in main.
>

> --
> Etienne Goyer
> Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd
> Ubuntu Certified Instructor - LPIC-3
>
> ~= Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings =~

Hi,

I would prefer tgt if its better supported IMHO. I would bring it up in
the server seed session at UDS.

chuck

Old 04-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Ruben Laban

On Friday 30 April 2010 at 18:13 (CET), Etienne Goyer wrote:
> It seems like we have two options if we want to run an iSCSI target (a
> "server") in lucid:
>
> - iscsitarget: widely used, but seems unmaintained.
>
> - tgt: the project seems more active, it's been recommended to me by
> people who had to use both, but the Ubuntu package lack an init script /
> upstart job to start tgtd.
>

> Both are in universe.
>
> I am wondering what people think of these two options, and if it would
> be appropriate to write a MIR to get one of those in main.

What about SCST [1] & ISCSI-SCST [2]? The devs are working hard on getting
it's kernel patches included upstream. Packaging is fairly
easy/straightforward (though my personal packaging rules aren't as strict as
Debian's/Ubuntu's). And development is quite active for this project.

[1]: http://scst.sourceforge.net
[2]: http://iscsi-scst.sourceforge.net

Ruben Laban
Senior Systems and Network Administrator
ISM eCompany

Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 AM
carlopmart

Ruben Laban wrote:
> On Friday 30 April 2010 at 18:13 (CET), Etienne Goyer wrote:
>> It seems like we have two options if we want to run an iSCSI target (a
>> "server") in lucid:
>>
>> - iscsitarget: widely used, but seems unmaintained.
>>
>> - tgt: the project seems more active, it's been recommended to me by
>> people who had to use both, but the Ubuntu package lack an init script /
>> upstart job to start tgtd.
>>

>> Both are in universe.
>>
>> I am wondering what people think of these two options, and if it would
>> be appropriate to write a MIR to get one of those in main.
>
> What about SCST [1] & ISCSI-SCST [2]? The devs are working hard on getting
> it's kernel patches included upstream. Packaging is fairly
> easy/straightforward (though my personal packaging rules aren't as strict as
> Debian's/Ubuntu's). And development is quite active for this project.
>
> [1]: http://scst.sourceforge.net
> [2]: http://iscsi-scst.sourceforge.net

+1 for SCST. tgt is really really buggy. for example: if you try to use tgt as an
iscsi target for ESX(i) and windows 2008 r2 hosts (for iscsi boot for example), all
crash after some time.

I am using SCST with SLC5x (Cern Scientific Linux 5) to serve iscsi disks for
several ESXi hosts, linux hosts and Windows hosts and all works very well. With tgt
these scenarios are impossible ... Tgt only works well with linux clients ....

Best regards ...

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com